Help sexing these young sajica

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Easiest way to tell as far as I know is the dorsal and anal fins. If theyre reddish/blue then male. If theyre yellow with black tips then female. :)

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yeah that's what I've been told as well but I'm color blind a bit so I'm never certain when it comes to colors. I also have them all on a dark and and background so they are staying dark and the yellow isn't coming out as fast as the red

Reactions: Jason_S

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks duanes duanes . Does the differentiation in the dorsal show itself fairly early?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I could see it in my female at only about 2". Her colors were also always brighter, or more intense. The pics below are of 2 females. But the dominant one killed the other, as did the dominant male killed his counterpart.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yeah. Unfortunately mine I think are still a little young to tell definitively (OP). Though the largest one is obviously a male. The next 3 I thought were originally male (pics 2-4) but one seems to have more black area in the dorsal so it may be female as well. The smaller ones (pics 5-8) I think are still too young to tell. They are all around 1.5 inches probably.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store