Herichthys Carpintis Discussion

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Ever since I saw a video of this guy a couple of years ago:

I have wanted to create a community centered around either a male specimen or pair of these fish.

Now, on to what I actually wanted to talk about, for those who have kept/had some kind of experience with the different morphs (or collection points), which have you found to be the best in terms of:

Coloration/pearl patterning

Overall body composition & finnage

Nuchal humps

Aggression (if there is any difference)

Which morphs/location points do you personally prefer and why? What differentiates these fish from one another besides their collection points? Escondido, Rio Hondo, Lahillas, Chairel, etc.

Would love to see people also share photos of their specimen as well.

Cheers.

Reactions: MrsE88

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have had Chairel and Lahillas, they were both equally beautiful, aggression levels were about the same (fairly high).
I grew Chairel out in a 75 gal, from 1", at about 4" all other cichlids had to be removed as a pair formed, and spawned 3 times. They were more tolerant in a 6ft 100+ gal tank.
Some I put in a tank outside in summer, and colors deepened, they withstood temps in the 60s F.
below male Chaitel

female

I put the Lahillas directly into a 135 gal tank with other cichlids to grow out like V makanura and Mesoheros lyons i
below young Lahillas

another male Chairel

Reactions: Fish on Fire

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
I love these cichlids as well... One of the nicest one I ever had was from Rainbowrunner Tropicals out of Florida. They had a very nice line of Escondido that had amazing coloring as well as pearls. They are sadly no longer is business though, and I sadly don't have it them anymore. I got them early on in my fish keeping hobby and didn't realize how good I had it with them. I know there's still a few guys floating around with some.

Coloration and pearls = Excellent
Finnage/Nuchal hump = Good

I prefer a little bit of a trailer which they didn't have much of up to about 6"

I haven't owned Rio Hondo, but really like what I've seen from Dan @ COA

Reactions: Fish on Fire

Jerkinthetank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Wisconsin
Ever since I saw a video of this guy a couple of years ago:

I have wanted to create a community centered around either a male specimen or pair of these fish.

Now, on to what I actually wanted to talk about, for those who have kept/had some kind of experience with the different morphs (or collection points), which have you found to be the best in terms of:

Coloration/pearl patterning

Overall body composition & finnage

Nuchal humps

Aggression (if there is any difference)

Which morphs/location points do you personally prefer and why? What differentiates these fish from one another besides their collection points? Escondido, Rio Hondo, Lahillas, Chairel, etc.

Would love to see people also share photos of their specimen as well.

Cheers.
ill have too get some pictures up but I just recently purchased one not knowing what it was.
jumped back onto mfk actually just to figure out what he was. I hope ours turns out as nice as yours. I'm looking for help with information on him tank mates ect. ect. I'm in the middle of a 180 gal set up. originally intended for an Oscar and dempseys. I know not from the same place but I have to have an Oscar : P. Anyway can any body help identify if there is an obvious reasons to not have this combo of fish together.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
ill have too get some pictures up but I just recently purchased one not knowing what it was.
jumped back onto mfk actually just to figure out what he was. I hope ours turns out as nice as yours. I'm looking for help with information on him tank mates ect. ect. I'm in the middle of a 180 gal set up. originally intended for an Oscar and dempseys. I know not from the same place but I have to have an Oscar : P. Anyway can any body help identify if there is an obvious reasons to not have this combo of fish together.
The carpintis will kill the oscar. Is there more of a reason needed?

Reactions: Jerkinthetank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would also "not" keep an oscar with Herichthys. Most North American species (Mexico is in North America) are way too aggressive for S American species like oscars.
There will be a certain point, where I'd bet the oscar will be no match for a carpintus even one 1/3rd smaller than the oscar, and get ripped to shreds over night.

Reactions: Jerkinthetank

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
I would also "not" keep an oscar with Herichthys. Most North American species (Mexico is in North America) are way too aggressive for S American species like oscars.
There will be a certain point, where I'd bet the oscar will be no match for a carpintus even one 1/3rd smaller than the oscar, and get ripped to shreds over night.
Duanes, do you think that there is any shot of keeping a schooling/dither fish that is smaller than your usual silver dollars, with the carpintis? Or am I just asking them to be food?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I've seen that video before, amazing specimen. I have owned Escondido, and Rio Hondo. The Hondo had much brighter "electric" blue coloration, I got him from dan at CoA. He passed away overnight, seemingly for no reason. one day he was fine, eating well and active, the next morning dead. My Escondido I had for quite some time, grew him up to about 8" or so in a community in a 6ft tank, then I moved and had to get rid of the tank. But he was a cool fish, not overly aggressive for a CA.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store