Ohio
Sorry to hear about the loss...

But im glad you got some good news to make up for it. Beautiful GT's as always

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oh no! Sorry about your foxes:(

Congrats on the spawns though! They are looking beautiful as ever:)

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
So it's 21 days post spawn and Leia is still guarding about a dozen fry. They're big enough now that I can see them from where I sit in the living room (about 15 feet from the tank).

Bruce is being a good dad, I guess. He's killed the last of the bleeding hearts...

I've also noticed that his hump has receded in size, despite him still growing.

I'm thinking he doesn't have any reason to show dominance at the moment. I'll pay attention and see if his hump comes back the next time they are getting ready to spawn.

The tank is pretty empty looking at the moment. I'm tempted to something, maybe another type of cichlid? Thing is I don't knows what.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I've noticed that with Oliver too. A few days post spawn his hump goes down, but as soon as I pulled those fry out it popped back up.

Tired of tetras?

Since I only have to two glotetras in with mine right now they don't do much. Taking out the third one made the others more reclusive. But my female gt was going to kill it. She hates orange fish. Lol
I'd really like some blackskirts.

I'm not sure what other cichlids would work. My only experience was with my jd and that didn't go well at all.
Maybe rams? I've never had them, but they are adorable. Haha

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm not tired of keeping Tetras. I'm tired of scooping their carcasses out of the tank :(

I may try adding a trio of flying foxes and maybe a couple denasonii barbs - in the hopes that's they may get large enough, or be fast enough to elude the GT's.

But here's why I am torn on that... since loosing my last flying fox (SAE) my tank has grown a nice lush blanket of hair Algae on a lot of the wood/rocks. It doesn't look the nicest, but I always see the fry feeding off it. I don't know if they eat the Algae specifically or the detritus that gets trapped in it (I suspect the latter). This is a good thing because I don't feed the fry, I just feed the tank like normal.

As far as cichlids go I was thinking it will either have to be tough/smart, or look different enough that the GT's ignore it.

So I was thinking maybe a male convict or two (tough/smart), or perhaps either a dwarf pike or Geophagus Steindachneri.

They each have their cons:

Convicts: not from same continent.
Pike: will eat fry relentlessly.
Steinies: may be too similar in shape. And while Steinies are hardy for Geos, they wouldn't stand a chance against a GT (most likely).

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Can't blame you for that. It's no fun watching them slowly get picked off.

Hmmm... Tough call.
I don't have experience with any of those so can't comment on any pros or cons.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
IMG_2192.JPG IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2194.JPG I noticed Leia guarding eggs yesterday. Not sure when they were laid though. It's their 3rd spawn.

The fry from the last spawn disappeared about a week ago. They were about 1 cm total length.

I'm not ready to pull fry and raise them up, but I'm not opposed to growing some out. I think I'll add more plants and rocks to create more hidey holes for them.

It won't guarantee their survival, but it will increase their odds.

Bruce is growing. Probably 6" TL now. His hump is all but gone now though. Still a good looking fish in my opinion.

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
He's a great looking fish DarylMac DarylMac no doubt about it

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
not ready to pull fry and raise them up, but I'm not opposed to growing some out. I think I'll add more plants and rocks to create more hidey holes for them.
Adding more places for the fry will help. Can I ask why your opposed to removing some fry?
All it would take is a ten gallon tank with a heater and sponge filter. Small air pump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store