How Do You Aerate Your Monster Tank??

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Pondmaster ap 100 and ap 60. Cheap. Moves tons of air. Negatives are they're Loud and the diaphragm blows every 3-6 months.

One thing that's saved me 5 figure losses are having extra compressed oxygen tanks hooked to regulators. I use my old CO2 hydroponic atmospheric regulators. Cheap at indoor gardening store or online. The regulators lead to hose line that T's and splits to multiple airstones which sit in every tank system. We have a lot of storms on the edge of the rainforest so if the power goes out all we have to do is crack the valve on the O2 cylinder and every tank instantly has aeration. 55lb cylinder can last for days on multiple systems. I keep a cylinder of varying size in each fish room ready to go. This is in addition to the airpumps running 247 as a backup.

I have backup propane generators built into our house that my neighbors are trained to start in our absence. But the air tanks are a great backup, instant aeration.

Last edited:

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
We have a lot of storms on the edge of the rainforest so if the power goes out all we have to do is crack the valve on the O2 cylinder and every tank instantly has aeration. 55lb cylinder can last for days on multiple systems. I keep a cylinder of varying size in each fish room ready to go. This is in addition to the airpumps running 247 as a backup.

I have backup propane generators built into our house that my neighbors are trained to start in our absence. But the air tanks are a great backup, instant aeration.
The O2 cylinders is a awesome back up idea!

Reactions: MaC420

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Oxygen enters the water through gaseous diffusion. You don't need to add oxygen to the water. You just need to turn over the water inside the tank so that water that has oxygen levels below capacity can interact with the surface.

They've done tests using nitrogen in the "air" pump and the water gets just as saturated with oxygen as when you use oxygen.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Oxygen enters the water through gaseous diffusion. You don't need to add oxygen to the water. You just need to turn over the water inside the tank so that water that has oxygen levels below capacity can interact with the surface.

They've done tests using nitrogen in the "air" pump and the water gets just as saturated with oxygen as when you use oxygen.
This is true.
In our case it's extremely useful to have oxygenated water during long periods without electricity.
Another application is using aeration as a form of redundancy in case of water pump failure, though not necessary.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
This is true.
In our case it's extremely useful to have oxygenated water during long periods without electricity.
Another application is using aeration as a form of redundancy in case of water pump failure, though not necessary.
Man you just gave me some inspiration and another project to work on. When I install my central air loop, I am going to experiment with some pvc air storage tanks plumbed into it for power outages. It probably wouldn't last long if it was run constantly, but some timed burst may be enough to get by in a pinch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store