Silver Arowana not eating

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
What lights do you use sounds like he's got a issue with the lights if he's not swimming at top when there on
I did the DIY LED light. He's doing good now. Still a little shy and hesitant when other fish are around to eat but it's eating now.

Reactions: RealCrix220

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Man, I missed this thread somehow...glad you got another one. No fish has been as frustrating yet rewarding to keep as a silver arowana, and I've kept a hell of a lot of fish over the years! I absolutely love mine, but it's been a journey! Getting a silver comfortable and eating well is the first challenge...keeping them in a big enough tank is the next challenge. They let you know when it's time to upgrade. They get jumpy and skittish, and eventually will stop eating when they feel confined. Takes real dedication to keep a silver arowana happy. Plan on eventually setting up an epic large tank in the future...like 10 × 4 or even bigger is much better. Sounds crazy, but these fish have the potential to get truly enormous. I know of one silver aro in captivity that is over 50 inches!!

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
Dam that's pretty big. Im not sure what Ima do yet but I'm trying to get a 8x4tank and see how everyone does in that tank. I plan on getting another ray by the end of the year. Need to cure my bd ray fever I have

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Haha...you and me both!! I'm shooting for a trio of BD's in a couple months! 8×4 will keep you going for a long time

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks. Woke up today and saw it has swim bladder. I was over feeding or the pieces where too big.

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
Doing a little better now. Before it was swimming upside down. Now it's swimming correctly. Guess I got lucky

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Oh man...what are you feeding it?? Btw, I do not feed mine pellets, nor any other fish for that matter. I feed mine tilapia, scallops, shrimp, and night crawlers. I chop it all to small bite sized pieces. When he was a baby I cut tilapia into very thin strips

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store