Are Ornate bichir's difficult to care for ????

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
my ornates are shy but they eat mealworms when i throw a bunch in lol

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Even though ornates are known for being cryptic, with the right scape design, you can work around that natural tendency.

I never like using caves in a bichir setup. Don't allow them to be completely hidden from you, because then they will.

But, you can still give them a place to feel secure by using large driftwood with lots of open space beneath it.

The bichirs if startled will all congregate there, then eventually they calm down and move about their business.

uwe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Germany
Hello,

Polypterids are very easy to keep due to the fact they aren't very sensible with the water quality (but - attention! You also have to care for a good water quality ... but in a bad case the bichirs are the last ones living in a severed tank!). The most important thing: Keep care of the possibilities of escaping!

For my experience Ornates are a bit more aggressive than other bichirs - especially males. They tend to bite other males (maybe territorial behaviour).
All my Ornates i had kept or i'm keeping are unfriendly community fish. Against other male bichirs ( no matter what species they are) they are aggressive, against other fish hy tend to kill them. Maybe they are peaceful for months but one morning you will miss a fish (don't wonder about the size thy are able to kill & eat!) or you will find some left-over like a fish puzzle on the tank's ground.
But every Ornate has it's unique character and it is possible all will be OK as told here by other keepers - but you will hear here two kind of stories - or more.

Greetings
Uwe

BlackGhostKnifelovr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
Puyallup, WA
ornate is a soldier... I have one around 11inch and i made the mistake of putting 40feeders in my tank hoping that it would feed all my fish for the week i was gone, and when i came back everything was dead except for the poly and a clown knife.... i imagine the gold fish lived too long and polluted the water causing my lima catfish to die and him floating around polluted more and killed the rest (4large tinfoils)

the water was murky white and the poly was just swimmin around like nothin was wrong... what a mess that was :(

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Wow , My poly has survived less than optimal conditions. Right now he is in a 55 with a eheim 2215 , An undergravel filter with powerheads , And a 300 GPH mechanical filter HOB style. He is sharing the tank with three giant danio's and thats it. He has the lay of the land on the tank bottom. Plenty of pots caves and plants he's having the time of his life in there he's only about 6 or so inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store