Melanura has large growth on his lips and hasn't been eating

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Can anyone help me with this. He has a large tumor looking thing on his top lip and hasn't been eating. Sorry for the greenish water it's that time of the year. Just turned on the uv to clear it up

20170429_094926.jpg

20170429_095552.jpg

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how old is the fish? Definitely could be tumor vs an abscess or some kind of infection process. When you open his mouth how far in does it go? The best thing wold be to have the fish sedated and remove the growth (should be done by a vet) otherwise you can try antibiotics and hope for the best. How big is he? You can probably tube feed him in the interm

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
how old is the fish? Definitely could be tumor vs an abscess or some kind of infection process. When you open his mouth how far in does it go? The best thing wold be to have the fish sedated and remove the growth (should be done by a vet) otherwise you can try antibiotics and hope for the best. How big is he? You can probably tube feed him in the interm
He's pretty old at least 5 years and about 13". It goes pretty far in. He has had it for a while but never seemed to bother him except lately it got alot bigger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store