Cleaning Arowana Tank - HELP!

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Those filters are like a bucket and I am pretty certain they hold way more media than 5.9l media. Regardless, you're all picking on the amount of media my filter scan hold but my point all along was the amount of media isn't the key, its the oxygen content. And the superiority of sumps is due to extra water volume and extra surface area for oxygen. I sure can filter a small tank better if I attach a bigger filter to it because it adds volume. The same applies to sumps. And that's where the superiority comes. But when it comes to media, all you need is 10% or less of the water volume of the tank.

There's one point that you're missing though, the external filters pump water through their own set of media each and total flow rate is not the only problem to inefficient filtration.

The best media/filter is the one that has access to air, such as in wet dry filters/sumps/trickle filters.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ahh, so you're using an AquaTop/Sun Sun canister. No doubt that they are extremely underrated for canisters. It looks like you have the 304B model. I have one size smaller than that, 303B, for my 29 gallon tank. I will have to say that the flow rate on these filters is far overrated. For instance, my 303B is rated at 375gph, but after media is put in, it is probably flowing no more than 200-225gph. I would trust my 303B on aquariums up to 55 gallons, although I would rather have a 304B for a 55. I would trust a single 304B on a tank up to 125 gallons, if it was lightly stocked.

One thing I would like to point out is that the water volume of the filter is not the same as how much media it will hold. For instance, robham777 robham777 posted the specs for the FX6 and it also has a 20L water volume, but it then advertises a media volume of 5.9L. The filter you posted advertises a water volume of 20L also, but does not advertise a media volume. I would think that by design, your filter will probably hold more than an FX6, but not anything near 20L. My 55 gallon sump, on the other hand, can hold as much media as I can fit into 3/4 of a standard 55 gallon aquarium, if I needed to. It would take a lot of your filters or FX6's to handle an equivalent capacity. I can also setup my middle chamber for a refugium for injured fish or some type of feeders. Or, I could turn it into a moving bed filter and use K1. Neither of those are options with canisters. I do think that the filter you posted is a good filter, but I don't think it's performing as well as or holding as much media as you think it is. None the less, it is still doing a good job, but I still maintain my original opinion that a sump is a big upgrade over canisters.
Those filters are like a bucket and I am pretty certain they hold way more media than 5.9l media. Regardless, you're all picking on the amount of media my filter scan hold but my point all along was the amount of media isn't the key, its the oxygen content. And the superiority of sumps is due to extra water volume and extra surface area for oxygen. I sure can filter a small tank better if I attach a bigger filter to it because it adds volume. The same applies to sumps. And that's where the superiority comes. But when it comes to media, all you need is 10% or less of the water volume of the tank.

There's one point that you're missing though, the external filters pump water through their own set of media each and total flow rate is not the only problem to inefficient filtration.

The best media/filter is the one that has access to air, such as in wet dry filters/sumps/trickle filters.
No way that filter is holding 20 L. No one is picking on your filter im sure its a great product just needlessly defending it. As for 10% of water volume to dictate the amount of media thats completly incorrect. Its the bioloa that dictates how much media is needed for the bb to colonize. Most of us including me just over size the amount to be on the safe side

Op mde his decision and imo its the right one

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
For sure most of us WAY overdo it with bio media. My Ray tank probably has 10× more bio than it needs....as far as I know, there is no such thing as too much media!! Canister filters have their place, and are certainly effective in many situations. As far as rays, discus, and arowana....why not go the extra distance and use a sump....I did and I certainly don't regret it

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
No way that filter is holding 20 L. No one is picking on your filter im sure its a great product just needlessly defending it. As for 10% of water volume to dictate the amount of media thats completly incorrect. Its the bioloa that dictates how much media is needed for the bb to colonize. Most of us including me just over size the amount to be on the safe side
As I said, my filters will hold the amount of media you showed having in your sump.

As far as your other statement goes you should probably drop the word "completely" from your sentence. I gave a rough percentage not taking into regard the type of media. But its the amount of oxygen that dictates filtration and it plays the major role. Overstocked tanks, tanks with high bioload are plentiful on ammonia and lacking oxygen. The issue comes not just from the possible build up of ammonia, but tons of other waste that dissolves and impacts the water quality. The solution is always dilution when it comes to keeping fish healthy long term and no amount or type of media will help you.

Ahh, so you're using an AquaTop/Sun Sun canister. No doubt that they are extremely underrated for canisters. It looks like you have the 304B model. I have one size smaller than that, 303B, for my 29 gallon tank. I will have to say that the flow rate on these filters is far overrated.
I currently filter a 700l pond with those. The volume capacity of the tank is 900l if I fill it to the top. The flow is plenty enough and one of my filter's outlets is set to blow against the side backwards to block some of the velocity of the flow.

I admit I don't keep that amount of bioload you guys do. I've passed the period of keeping too many fish for a tank to handle normally...My fish are old enough and I know how to keep fish healthy long term. I haven't bought a test kit in 3 years at least.....barely ever needed one. I've mentioned elsewhere, I use a TDS meter to monitor water quality, observation, the health and longevity of my fish are my guidance of how successful my methods are.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
As I said, my filters will hold the amount of media you showed having in your sump.

As far as your other statement goes you should probably drop the word "completely" from your sentence. I gave a rough percentage not taking into regard the type of media. But its the amount of oxygen that dictates filtration and it plays the major role. Overstocked tanks, tanks with high bioload are plentiful on ammonia and lacking oxygen. The issue comes not just from the possible build up of ammonia, but tons of other waste that dissolves and impacts the water quality. The solution is always dilution when it comes to keeping fish healthy long term and no amount or type of media will help you.

I currently filter a 700l pond with those. The volume capacity of the tank is 900l if I fill it to the top. The flow is plenty enough and one of my filter's outlets is set to blow against the side backwards to block some of the velocity of the flow.

I admit I don't keep that amount of bioload you guys do. I've passed the period of keeping too many fish for a tank to handle normally...My fish are old enough and I know how to keep fish healthy long term. I haven't bought a test kit in 3 years at least.....barely ever needed one. I've mentioned elsewhere, I use a TDS meter to monitor water quality, observation, the health and longevity of my fish are my guidance of how successful my methods are.
Lol, the liters are killing me. So, I'm pretty sure 700L is pretty close to a standard 180. If stocked well and taken care of, I can definitely see two of those filters handling it. If I were going to use those on my 220 I would probably go with four, just for peace of mind, but would probably be fine with three.

They are great filters. I think they get a bad wrap because they are made in China and are so cheap that nobody can believe they are worth anything as cheap as they are. Truly, I think the eheims and Fluvals, although probably a better filter, are way overpriced. I doubt I will ever own an FX6 or eheim, unless I end up with it at a fantastic secondhand used price. If I need a canister, I look at SunSun.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

No doubt anyone can have a ton of bio will more cans. Sure i can fill up 7 ot 8 2217's and go with that. Your filter cannot hold 20 plus liters of bio to achieve this you need multiple

Any % even a rough estimate is pointless as the inhabitants of the tank will dictate the filtration...180 gal with 2 oscars is going to need more filtration that a 180 with a handful of small community fish.

Im not knocking your filtration methods and this convo has gone round robin and is contributing nothing to this thread.

I feel sumps are superior to cans you feel the opposite.....aaaaand the world will keep on turn'in

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Sorry I got you into this J jaws7777 !! All you poly guys get along so well, thought you might want to break the monotony and hang with us ray and arowana guys. All we do is argue!! Although, most times the arguments start from guys that dont keep them!! Still good to get ideas out there even if we don't agree. Always something to learn in this hobby!! I'm surprised any old school under-gravel filter guys didn't jump in and tell us were all doing it wrong!

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
For sure most of us WAY overdo it with bio media. My Ray tank probably has 10× more bio than it needs....as far as I know, there is no such thing as too much media!! Canister filters have their place, and are certainly effective in many situations. As far as rays, discus, and arowana....why not go the extra distance and use a sump....I did and I certainly don't regret it
Sorry I got you into this J jaws7777 !! All you poly guys get along so well, thought you might want to break the monotony and hang with us ray and arowana guys. All we do is argue!! Although, most times the arguments start from guys that dont keep them!! Still good to get ideas out there even if we don't agree. Always something to learn in this hobby!! I'm surprised any old school under-gravel filter guys didn't jump in and tell us were all doing it wrong!
haha it's been fun thanks so much guys and I have just created yet another thread thanks to you Bigfishnut Bigfishnut now that I'm doing a sump. Let me know your thoughts it's called "help with sump set-up"

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Hahahan lmaooo i slum it up on the lounge quite often. Didnt know filtration was such a touchy subject hahan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store