Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Oh, as far as pumps go, I recommend two smaller ones instead of one larger one. In case one fails, you will still have half of your flow. Even at that point, you could turn the second one up if it's a DC style that has an adjustable controller.

With heaters, I think it's best to get by with as small of a heater as you can. This way, if something ever happens to keep them stuck on, you will have time to notice before they overheat the tank. I just had this happen last night/today. My heater controller probe had been pulled up out of the water, but not out of the tank. It stayed reading about 78*, which kept my low temperature alarm from going off. My water ended up at 84* instead of its normal 82* before I noticed it during water change today. Oh, and along the topic of heaters, make sure to use a controller for thermostat redundancy. I use an InkBird 308 on all three of my tanks. I really like it but the favorite here is the Ranco. I think both are good.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
STOP OR HE'LL FIND THIS THREAD !!!

Whats the run down on K1 never used it.
K1 is a fluidized media...there are other sizes and other brands besides kaldness, I've never really compared any of the off brands, but I understand they work just is good. The benifits of a fluidized media is they tumble and roll around in the chamber, knocking off weak and dead bacteria so only the young, strong bacteria "sticks" to the media...essentially keeping your media at maximum efficiency. I know our friend who thinks media capacity or whatever isn't important, but I promise you he's never kept rays!! The other benefit of fluidized media is that it's self cleaning. It literally can't clog and never needs maintenance. It really is a far superior form of biological filtration. Downside is it's expensive and you need a strong airpump to keep the media rolling. King of diy has some great videos on how to set it up.

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I run a 75g sump on my 250 with 3 chambers. 1st chamber holds the mechanical and bioMedia 2nd chamber 2 2-300 watts Jager heaters one set at 76 degrees and the other on a temp controller at 78 +/-1 degrees also have a bunch of my old sponge filters in there from my old discus tanks and the last chamber holds the max-flo 2900 pump.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid . Any thoughts/suggestions. Your pretty well versed on sump set up
I'm full of Sudafed, mucinex and pressure, and fading fast. I'll come back with a good attitude and some ideas tomorrow :)

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
In the process of hunting down a used 75-90 gallon tank for the sump but would still like more input. If the drains go in the first chamber about 1/4-1/2" below water level based on BA method, would you still have room for socks to catch sediment? Are they necessary? I'm thinking chamber one drains and socks with some media followed by second chamber with heaters and more media (bio balls? Lava rock? Liquid?) and final chamber pumps. Is this too much or too little and in a proper order? What would you recommend? Are chambers worth the hassle otherwise how would it all be configured in one big space? Finally do you guys recommend the added baffles for air bubble removal between chambers? Thanks fish masters!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I always put my heaters in the pump chamber. I think baffles are the way to go, it forces the water to channel thru the media and is way more controlled and efficient. Absolutely necessary for fluidized media...which I'm a fan of. Check out king of diy on YouTube. He shows how to set up a really good fluidized media sump

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I always put my heaters in the pump chamber. I think baffles are the way to go, it forces the water to channel thru the media and is way more controlled and efficient. Absolutely necessary for fluidized media...which I'm a fan of. Check out king of diy on YouTube. He shows how to set up a really good fluidized media sump
He has so many videos could you post the link you are referring to?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also like submerged media, I put it in mesh bags, which makes it easy to remove and rinse or shake out. As to type, media is just a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on, rings, lava rock, Scrubbies, the difference is minimal.
I find baffles to be restrictive, and of no use, especially as your expertise and evolution grows they just get in the way, and inhibit change.
You may at some point want to use plants or other types of filtration, and baffles get in the way.
For mechanical I use filter socks, and easy clean, easy maintenance choice.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store