discus with fin rot

Dkarc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
There are a lot of myths about discus that used to be true that people are still going by that do not apply to todays discus. Today, discus are much more hardier and can stand a much wider range of pH values...from as low as 5.0 to as high as 8.2.... And water hardness means nothing now a days...But the 3 things that still remain are the frequency of water changes, higher temperature and cleanliness of tank. I am glad to see a sub-forum dedicated to Discus/Angel fish on this site. I will do my best as a discus breeder and importer to help answer the questions posed here and help debunk a lot of the old time myths that people still believe about discus.

-Ryan

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
:thumbsup:

karsin

Feeder Fish
Dec 16, 2010
canada
Hi. Name karsin don't like to jiber jaber online. I have four tanks. One 150gal tall. One 75 tall cube. One 50gal reg. One 20gal hospital tank. All planted with discus. Clyclone bio filters on 150 and 75g. Had tanks running for year still work in progress. Have all parts for co2 no time to get it working. Only two discus in 75g they started to get fin rot. Water was good. Weekly water changes. Changed up to every second day with meds. I would like to thank everyone on site for their info I pull off the site. Thanks again.

Halo15dk

Feeder Fish
Apr 30, 2017
Yes you most certainly can...I have used salt in super heavy concentrations up to 1 cup per 10 gallons!! They tolerate salt quite well and actually enjoy having a little bit thrown in the tank from time to time. Salt eases osmotic stress and helps them deal with stress, such as being shipped and placed into a new tank. For the most part, as a theraputic use, 2-3 tablespoons per 10 gallons is welcomed in any discus tank.

-Ryan
Hi Ryan, i have a discus stock with 30 adult and medium discus fish. They got finrot for a week ago, when i noticed this i turned temp to 28 C. And started treatment with Api triple sulfa - and Kanamycin ( kanaplex) after one week of treatment with these medicines, theres is no improvement. The finrot seems to be a hard strain... after reading your advice here in this thread i started to move them to the quarantaine tank. They got 8 table spoon salt ( tripond salt for koi fish) to my QT tank 20 galons.
After one day of treatment The slim coat seems a little darker( burned like) ....should i still continue for a full week treatment or should i stop and try other anti bakterial medicine?
I have had this finrot disease last year,,,and i was not able to cure the fish. ( it was another stock, not the same as now)
I used at that time Furan 2 , Antimicina, Oxitetraciclina , triple sulfa, Acriflavine, Mardel Maracyn Plus. All of these against gram negative bacteria,,without success in fighting this aggressiv disease.
please tell me what should i do now?
Thank you in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store