Outdoor wooden pond with window

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Hi all, I've been banging my head around the internet and decided to ask the experts here for some advice. I want to make a 10x4x4 heated pond from 2x4 or 2x6 frame with studs and a framed in 3/4" 48"x24" acrylic window. It will be 10-12" in the ground so 36-38" above. I'm thinking the spacing of the studs would be 8-10" on center with a 3/4" plywood lined and epoxy coated and 3/4" plywood wrapped on the outside with a second 3/4" acrylic window on the outside to act as a double pane and strength. I can do this out of steel which I am more experienced in but want to have the space in between the studs for insulation and also steel I feel would stay cold compared to wood. Also steel is much more expensive than wood. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences if you have them, it would be much appreciated.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I've built an above ground pond with cinder blocks, wood, and a pond liner. The pond liner being the most expensive part. Really depends on how ghetto you want to get. I also built a filter for it out of a plastic plant pot and the most expensive part was the water pump. All in all I was able to build a roughly 375g pond for $300 (I think...it's been awhile).

This guy did it, and it looks great. All you would need to add is the window.

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks J.H! Awesome looking pond but he made his out of cinder blocks (which is an option but not the best for insulating a heated pond imo) and I'm thinking all wood. BTW being from a city I love your quote " This world will end when cyclists obey traffic laws."

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
BTW being from a city I love your quote " This world will end when cyclists obey traffic laws."
Thanks. I am one of those bikers 13mi total daily commute :)

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I would be interested to see how the window gets installed. i also am going to build a above ground pond that is studded in and would like to put a window so the kid can look in and see the fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store