Geophagus surinamensis care

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Good night everyone. I just wanted to created a thread about my geo surinamensis
I'm sure a few people have the same fish
I just wanted a few tips n pointers
What do you feed your geo?
How can I get them to grow quick?
I currently have 2 in my 75G including a meta and green severum

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They are not surinamensis but you can essentially treat all the surinamensoid group the same -- lots of clean water, tiny pellets (they are sifters by nature and do not take large pellets well), frozen or freeze-dried worms, mysis, etc. Geos are not typically picky about their food, but they do like clean water.

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks. I've heard their hard to get. So that's why I'm not sure what species it really is. But to be honest I'm thinking about giving them away. (Depends)
Here's a few pics

IMG_8692.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8703.JPG

IMG_8704.JPG

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Yours look like geophagus Dicrozoster to me because the barring behind the spot forms a y shape.Dicrozoster normally have a black gill mark but I believe this may come as they develop.
I can't be 100 %sure,Geo s can be very hard to distinguish especially when young.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Geophagus are omnivores. A good diet would be a staple of sinking quality pellets (hikari, NLS, etc) with occasional shelled boiled peas, cucumber, broccoli, zucchini, bloodworms, mealworms, etc. for treats. They are not very fast growers compared to most CA cichlids, but given clean water and lots of food anything can grow more quickly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
They don't have the right Y-bar for dicrozoster. It's odd they both have fused bars.
The y bar does actually look in the wrong place for Dicrozoster.
Abalios has a kind of y bar before the mid lateral spot.The op's fish almost looks like it had 2 y bars.
Is it possible they may be a cross between these two species?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The y bar does actually look in the wrong place for Dicrozoster.
Abalios has a kind of y bar before the mid lateral spot.The op's fish almost looks like it had 2 y bars.
Is it possible they may be a cross between these two species?
Hybrids are possible unfortunately.

Reactions: Ilovefishes24
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store