How Do You Aerate Your Monster Tank??

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
What do you guys use to keep oxygen up in your tanks? Can anybody recommend a SUPER quiet airpump from experience? Or any better ideas?
Only from the outflows of my HOB's, and the surface movement from the canisters. They generally create PLENTY of oxygenation unless you're HEAVILY overstocked.

for 55's I recommend 2 hob's (300GPH) plus small canister@250+gph

for 75's I recommend 2 hob's (300GPH) plus mid/large canister@400+gph

Larger 125+ gallons(125 largest I've personally ever had), multiple canisters (2+) and at least 2 HOB's where possible(if one fits). If HOB wont fit, raise up your output tube accordingly to agitate the surface.

That said, these are my personal habit's, YMMV

Reactions: MaC420

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
for 55's I recommend 2 hob's (300GPH) plus small canister@250+gph

for 75's I recommend 2 hob's (300GPH) plus mid/large canister@400+gph

Larger 125+ gallons(125 largest I've personally ever had), multiple canisters (2+) and at least 2 HOB's where possible(if one fits). If HOB wont fit, raise up your output tube accordingly to agitate the surface.
I happen to be running 350 on my 55 right now, but it is way overkill. You must stock your tanks heavily.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I happen to be running 350 on my 55 right now, but it is way overkill. You must stock your tanks heavily.
Actually no, I've just been doing this for over 30 years, and have alot of "backup" filters. I also kind of overshot on the 55.

For a 55, 2 good HOB's (my preference AC70's due to bio capacity) should be plenty OR 1 AC500/110 (bio capacity again)and a Magnum 350 or the like.....

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
What do you guys use to keep oxygen up in your tanks? Can anybody recommend a SUPER quiet airpump from experience? Or any better ideas?
Powerheads are quieter, cheaper, and use less power. The only reason to go with an air pump is if you like the bubbles. Just some random ones:
https://www.amazon.com/SUNSUN-Submersible-Circulation-Powerhead-Microsystems/dp/B00YYIHGXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1493684035&sr=1-1&keywords=powerheads+for+aquariums
https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JVP-110-528-GPH-Wavemaker-4-Pack/dp/B00LGRDFDK/ref=sr_1_18?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1493684035&sr=1-18&keywords=powerheads+for+aquariums

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
i like using air stones because it provides an "updraft" that pulls waste off the bottom and into the water column and out the overflows. I had a tetra ap but it blew a diaphragm and i swapped it out for two big whispers two years ago. each line runs its own air stone (4 total) no problems so far. also i can keep them going during water changes while i have to turn of my power heads and return pumps

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Hammerhead pump/venturi return nozzle for my mechanical filtration return on our 300 gallon tank. The tank is aerated. The venturi nozzle spits out air.

Filling up the tank after a water change.

After the tank is filled, the venturi nozzle periodically spits air bubbles....the fish love the swift current.

Venturi nozzle is in the front

Reactions: Grinch and MaC420

MaC420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2017
pacu mom my gf would not put up with the noise :rolleyes: I use something similar with the Venturi effect at the moment so need a quiet option, your Oscars are really nice btw,great colour
Thanks for all your replies everybody I'm going to play around with a few ideas.
Crazy how we all have so many different solutions to the same issue.

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I run undergravel bubble discs as well as a SunSun JP-025F as it provides for aeration (adjustable venturi), circulation (very powerful!), and exceptional added in-tank filtration - on my 90gal tall.

The pumps for the discs are Whispers (and they are quiet) - the SunSun can get a bit noisy when I increase the airflow, but as a pump it's 100% quiet. Only issue with it is replacing the sponge filters (but you could also use floss, etc).

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Jehmco and alita. Both are very quiet. Linear pumps are more reliable but more expensive.
Jehmco pumps are actually the same as Medo. Alita is different. Medo = Linear floating piston. Alita = linear piston diaphram. The difference is minimal IMO... better service life on the medo pumps.

Powerheads are quieter, cheaper, and use less power. The only reason to go with an air pump is if you like the bubbles. Just some random ones:
Air pumps offer far more than bubbles. Centralized air pumps are often used to create suction through sponge media. In this application they are great because there is very little water/disease transfer between tanks. And air pumps are cheaper and use less power. Whether they are quieter depends on how they are set up relative to whatever you wan to compare to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store