native dream tank possible?

geoffish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2017
Want to set up native tank. Plan is warmouth, pumkinseed, shadow bass, dollar sunfish eastern, longer sunfish. Starting with small fish but they will grow. I'll start with a 55 but will have to upgrade to 150+ eventually? Problem with some of these species is the males and females look different. I want the "pretty" ones. I'm hoping to go heavily planted. Will get dither fish if necessary. For just the fish listed what size tank would I need if they all survive to be adults? I'm aware some of these can get aggressive but I'm willing to try different things. Any beautiful native I should be considering? I'm probably going to get the 55 this weekend and start to get setup. I know nothing about planted tanks other than the Java fern I used to stick in gravel. My biggest fear will be vacuuming waste more than once a week or large water changes weekly as I know some of these guys can eat and are dirty. Is this possible or just a dream?

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
That's just about the tank I have now. Your dream is very much possible and not all that difficult. I would recommend the 150 you mentioned for the adult sizes of the fish you listed. I'm not too familiar with shadow bass though.

Reactions: geoffish

geoffish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2017
How expensive to feed them? I love giving live food but they probably won't get it every day... will a hang on the back filter work with the 55? Probably won't get a fancy canister till I go over 100..

geoffish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2017
Do these guys tear out plants? Anybody have a picture of a tank like this?

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
I change water every 3-4 weeks. I have 2 emperor 400's and an fx6 on a 125 gallon. I feed primarily raw shrimp every two to three days.

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
i had almost a similar stock list in my 55 for a while. (I just grabbed some at random while my neighbors pond was being stocked.) I had a few pumpkinseed, couple redear sunfish, a carp, and green sunfish, and bluegill. they were all juvenile. I filtered it with two penguin 350s. it worked out well. i fed cichlid pellets, market shrimp, and red wrigglers, amd alabama jumpers. they were cool to watch for a few months before I put them in my neighbors pond. 30% water changes once a week. I never saw them fighting but one fish did die, and I don't know how or why. but they were all small.

geoffish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2017
Emailed the dnr in my state. I don't even need a permit for any native fish. I just have to buy them legally. I know where to buy the ones I'm looking for. Except shadow bass, haven't found a source for those. Now I'm thinking of adding a grass pickerel. Hell if they only get a foot long they won't be able to eat my pumkinseed or my warmouth. Or will they?

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
Emailed the dnr in my state. I don't even need a permit for any native fish. I just have to buy them legally. I know where to buy the ones I'm looking for. Except shadow bass, haven't found a source for those. Now I'm thinking of adding a grass pickerel. Hell if they only get a foot long they won't be able to eat my pumkinseed or my warmouth. Or will they?
what state are you in? I like those laws. is fishing at a pay lake considered legally buying them? if that were the case you could easily find all the native species you could ask for, you may just have to fish a little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store