Gruntibg Toadfish (fw lionfish) Info!

MissLissa

Feeder Fish
May 17, 2017
Hello!

I'm in the process of cycling a 75g tank. I was at my LFS last week to look at African cichlids, and fell in love with a 10" Allenbatrachus grunniens (grunting toadfish aka freshwater lionfish). I've been trying to research their requirements, but finding good information has been difficult. Currently he is kept in a freshwater tank, but if I decide to add him to my new tank I'd slowly acclimatize him to mid-high brackish (1.010-1.015)... or possibly full marine.

Tank specs: 48Lx18Wx20H with aragonite sand substrate and a few rocks, currently running two Eheim Ecco Pro 200's with a double handful of seeded media from an established tank, temps were bumped to 26C (79F) via two Jager 150W heaters to aid in cycling, pH is 8.0. Planning on adding a couple brackish-friendly macroalgaes at some point and maybe a piece of wood or two if I can find some that won't mess with my pH too badly. Has been running for just over a week, being fed fish flake, and last night measured my first ammonia drop.

I currently have two main questions regarding toadfish that I haven't found answers for:

1) Exactly how loud are they? The tank is set up in my bedroom, as it was the only place a 48" tank would fit. Would a toadfish be too loud to be more or less right beside my bed?

And

2) (probably the #1 question on any fish board ever) does anyone have any history keeping these guys with another brackish species successfully? I really like him, but I'd like something that moves about in the water column as well, but I'm having trouble finding anything that is at least 8-9" (so it will be less likely to get eaten) and would do well in a 75g. Upgrading to a 90g+ is not in the cards at the moment- or possibly ever- so whatever I'd put with him would have to be happy with 48" for life. If I can't find any safe brackish species, I might hop over to the marine side and check there- apparently this toadfish does quite well in full marine and maybe there is a saltwater fish or two that might do okay in a 75g. Maybe.

MissLissa

Feeder Fish
May 17, 2017
Ugh sorry for the type-o in the title, and it was supposed to end in a question mark! My phone just decided to post before I was done editing

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Possible tankmates include:dragonfish,big alewife, in brackish water.
In saltwater u could do:purple tang,porkfish and some live rock and a sea star

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store