All glass 11ft

bigfish 2017

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2017
Hi all, just another update, the aquascape I will be creating will be natural bogwood but joint together using acrylic rods, I will drill into each bogwood that will be in a particular position then insert the acrylic rods to hold them in place. I do expect the wood to expand with water absorbtion however the rods are there so the wood don't fall or the fish don't knock them off. Next weekend the aquarium Manufacturers will have the overflow Comb for the weir and return pipe all plumbed in. Then I will be creating the aquascape and gradually fill the aquarium 6inches per day to allow a gradual settlement off its weight onto the polystyrene and floor.

Reactions: Poly Pinni

bigfish 2017

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2017
Hi all, just a little update, last weekend tested the weir for leaks and has a test run of the return pump, it managed to push water through a UV and the pond heater up 5ft into the tank so far so good.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Nice! Acrylic dowels - hadn't thought of that. I've done the same thing with regular wood dowels though.

Looks great by the way!

bigfish 2017

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2017
Nice! Acrylic dowels - hadn't thought of that. I've done the same thing with regular wood dowels though.

Looks great by the way!
Wooden dowels would have been great but due to the weight off the bogwood I don't think they'd handle the water absorbtion and have much flexibility before they broke, but I'm sure for smaller pieces of bogwood wooden dowels would have been very cost effective. However the acrylic rods are 8mm diameter and can handle quite a bit of weight, some off the pieces of bogwood weight 2-5kg so needed some flexibility and strength, but so far so good.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store