My son went to the fair today

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
DN328 DN328 I kept a little fry in a bowl as a kid. I wintered it over in a half gal bowel in my room. I had no clue. I just didn't want it sent off to my moms friends house all winter till our pond opened back up. Lol

Everything I've learned since I started keeping fish on my own makes sense of why we lost so many fish growing up. My mom didn't know about cycling or the importance of a regular wc schedule.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
It's my planned career path so I am. Just a good add on if you have a pond or whatever
It is part of my planned career path, too, well, I don't really have a plan, but I either want to do aquaponics, work as a structural engineer or a mathematician. Maybe i'll meet you through that one day :)
DN328 DN328 The First fish that was really mine was a carnival goldfish too. After that I started taking care of the family tank....

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It is part of my planned career path, too, well, I don't really have a plan, but I either want to do aquaponics, work as a structural engineer or a mathematician. Maybe i'll meet you through that one day :)
DN328 DN328 The First fish that was really mine was a carnival goldfish too. After that I started taking care of the family tank....
I'm pretty far lol

I'm fixing an aquaponic system with my dad and may be visiting a universities aquaponics system soon

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
Common goldfish, true size/lifespan is 12-16in and 35-40 years old. would recommend at least a 125 gallon for both of them. this is for optimum care though, you could keep them in something smaller and they may stunt at 8-10in and die prematurely at around 10-15 years old, and while that may be more convenient its not ideal.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Common goldfish, true size/lifespan is 12-16in and 35-40 years old. would recommend at least a 125 gallon for both of them. this is for optimum care though, you could keep them in something smaller and they may stunt at 8-10in and die prematurely at around 10-15 years old, and while that may be more convenient its not ideal.
Hmmm...use this as an excuse and get a 125+ gallon, and bribe the wife with jewelry and let her and the kids pick some fancy ranchus or shubunkins or something to go with them... Bwahahahhaha!
Yes, thank you for the info. I have told my wife that I will only keep them if I can provide a proper home for them. I'm not going to keep them in a 29 gallon tank and just let them be stunted and have poor health. I was thinking a 125 in the garage, or, possibly a stock tank from tractor supply. I would just setup a drip system on the tank and let the ground water temp control the tank water temp. It would be a bit cooler in the summer and a bit warmer in the winter. Then, I would just have to clean the filters and feed them, which is minimal maintenance.

Any idea what a good pellet is for them? I have tried a floating type cichlid pellet but they pretty much stay at the bottom, so they don't eat them until they sink a long time later. I also tried a sinking style carnivore pellet but they weren't that interested in them. Lastly, I have fed some tropical flakes and they have been interested in those, but only after they sink, which can sometimes take a while.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I feed mine api pond fish food for koi and goldfish. It's a floating food so you can remove what they don't eat. They will come around to eating floating food.
They also eat earthworms. I wouldnt feed those too often, but they love them. Flies, bugs, blood worms, peas, algae wafers, etc. Just offer different foods and they will come around to trying new things. Not feeding a day before trying a new food helps too.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Any idea what a good pellet is for them? I have tried a floating type cichlid pellet but they pretty much stay at the bottom, so they don't eat them until they sink a long time later. I also tried a sinking style carnivore pellet but they weren't that interested in them. Lastly, I have fed some tropical flakes and they have been interested in those, but only after they sink, which can sometimes take a while.
They will very quickly eat from the surface. I find that when they first go into a tank they don't eat much and hug the bottom/plants. Give them a couple of days to build confidence, and they will start using the whole tank and eating like pigs. They will eat off the surface no problem. If you buy goldfish with 'egg' bodies, like ranchu oranda eggfish lionchu pearlscale, they have buoyancy issues to begin with, and people try to feed them sinking foods, because if they swallow too much air, they will lose control of their buoyancy and float around upside down, on their sides etc. for a while. I do not believe this harms the goldfish, but I don't think they like it, and I definitely don't like watching them like that.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
When I had a few baby rescues a while back they really seemed to like omega one sinking shrimp pellets. I fed them that with zuchinni, algae wafers, and flakes that weren't too high in protein, and the occasional bug. Oh they also absolutely wrecked the big wad of hornwort I dumped in. I tried only feeding every other day to save on siphoning the bottom but green poop was all over and only hornwort stems remained. Haha if your other tanks get taken over by that stuff you will have a way to dispose of that!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thank you for all of the suggestions. So far, it's still up in the air if we will keep them or not, but if we end up keeping them then I will get a variety of the items mentioned and try to rotate it around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store