I sold my freshwater soul...

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
They are doing great!

Not sure if you have been in the thread lately but I added a Teug - Ziti. ;)

Reactions: jwd

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hammers,torch,frogspawn all good together. Will burn most other coral. Put them in first and see how they move especially when lights off. As long as flow stays same should be able to put corals where they don't or can't touch.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hammers,torch,frogspawn all good together. Will burn most other coral. Put them in first and see how they move especially when lights off. As long as flow stays same should be able to put corals where they don't or can't touch.
Sounds good. I can't wait to actually get some in there. Everything comes in today and I'm kinda overwhelmed. I ordered live sand and dry rock. I've read that I need to cure the rock in a separate container with a heater and powerhead to get a lot of the phosphates out. I've read that some people do that for 6-8 weeks even. Then I can bond the rocks together and start my cycle.

Also, very new to the whole RO/DI system. I have a lot of reading to do but the guy at bulk reef supply told me if the system isn't getting enough pressure I'll have to get a pump for it. Soooo much to do and learn about. It's going to be interesting.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Don't sweat it you got info under your belt. You are not a complete noob. some stuff is different. Are you on city water? And when you say dry rock how dry is dry? Where did you get it from? is it completely white?

Reactions: jwd and clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Sounds good. I can't wait to actually get some in there. Everything comes in today and I'm kinda overwhelmed. I ordered live sand and dry rock. I've read that I need to cure the rock in a separate container with a heater and powerhead to get a lot of the phosphates out. I've read that some people do that for 6-8 weeks even. Then I can bond the rocks together and start my cycle.

Also, very new to the whole RO/DI system. I have a lot of reading to do but the guy at bulk reef supply told me if the system isn't getting enough pressure I'll have to get a pump for it. Soooo much to do and learn about. It's going to be interesting.
Jwd, totally understand not wanting to do water changes through a long distance.

Would love to hear about your salt water adventures. Salt water is beautiful. I have a saltwater tank, but it is nothing serious and I don't know a lot about it. No corals. Just rocks and a flame shrimp. Would love to learn about corals, set ups, RO/DI, cycling for saltwater. Please keep us posted in the poly section! :D You are always welcome anytime, polys or no polys.

Reactions: jwd and J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I put eggcrate on the bottom but I might be taking it out. I've read that the negatives out weigh the positives. Sifters can't sift all the way down and detritus gets stuck in the squares.
I have heard that a styrofoam pad has all the advantages of eggcrate and still lets your cleanup crew work all the way down. You have to make sure to weigh it down well. Best of luck!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have heard that a styrofoam pad has all the advantages of eggcrate and still lets your cleanup crew work all the way down. You have to make sure to weigh it down well. Best of luck!
I see that going south really quickly. Not say it isn't possible, just don't know how good an idea that is. I've used egg crate with no issues, that I saw or knew about.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I see that going south really quickly. Not say it isn't possible, just don't know how good an idea that is. I've used egg crate with no issues, that I saw or knew about.
Why would it go bad? styrofoam is not biodegradable. Are you worried about the fish eating it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store