210g filled fx6 with cermedia media pure balls

ebaybrad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2015
ny
I have a 210g aquarium housing about 80 tropheus. It has a 48" bashsea sump with 3 filter socks. It runs a continuous drip system that changes about 40 gallons a day right now through a 3 stage filter system. The overflow water drains down a waste pipe bulkheaded into the sump.

I had about 4 gallons of Cermedia Marinepure balls in filter mesh bags in the sump. The problem is that they silt up a bit and breakdown. It causes alot of Ceramic ish in dust in the sump.

Therefore, I moved all of it into my Fluval FX6. I have nothing else in the fx6. I is completely filled with marinepure balls and just a few filter pads. I broke it down for the first time after running for 2 months and it was not very dirty at all. I simply rinsed it quick and put it back together.

Anyone have input as to if this is a good idea? When the balls were in the sump tjhey were completely submerged and not a wet/dry set up.
Seems to work well, but anyone have any comments or criticisms?

My thought is that I dont need much mechanical filtration. 40g a day leaves the tank. I run bare bottom with wavemakers pushing debris to one side and I can simply vacuum it out. A 40 watt UV runs continuously. A couple of plecos take care of what is left over. The 3 filter socks are changed weekly or so,

Just want to make sure that this is not a bad idea....

Thanks

megablue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
Parts unknown
I have marine pure in an fx5 and a sump and have observed the same. I also have fluval, eheim, aquaclear, misc bio media in the sump and I think the dust may be general sump crud and not ceramic dust. I recently added a 4" poret wall after the filter sock and before the ceramic bio for overkill and maybe prevent the ceramic from clogging from whatever is getting past the 7" sock.
If you're running bare bottom my only concern would be the fx bio slowly becoming less effective between cleanings and that's all you have so maybe add even more bio back to the sump for redundancy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store