DIY 3D Background, need some info

Fishoreel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
S. GA
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long aquarium I picked up for $7.99. I have been wanting to make a 3D background for my 55 gal., so I decided to make a test background on the 20 first, so if I messed up I wouldn't be wasting much material.
Here's the finished product(Turned out better than I thought it would):

I made it with mortar mix and styrofoam.

So now that I have it the way I want it, I would like to know how long to soak the background before I can begin to think about adding fish?

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
let it cure first means let it rest for a week or two, then simply light brush for dusts or other powder residue that might go and foul the water, but just light okay? with a gentle brush that's it. Looking forward for the next pic for that tank with all the fishes you're putting in. BTW, what would be the fish in your mind?

nickhendrix007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
United States
The concrete/mortar will need to cure over a few weeks, up to a month. Try misting it with a vinegar solution to neutralize ph. Also, fill the tank up with water, get some movement in it (filter or a power head) and change the water every day. Use a garden hose and 20 gallons goes by pretty quickly. Every couple of days test your ph level. It (should) will go down over time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fishoreel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
S. GA
Thanks guys for the info. I'll let it cure, then run some water in the tank like you said. (Should I put some vinegar in the water when I place it in the tank?)
I wanted to get some African cichlids but from what I understand is a 20 isn't the right size for a colony of P. saulosi., so I don't know what to get now:)

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Not on the tank, but outside with the decor, get a tub and put the decor on it and maybe put 10-15% Vinegar, an hour or two will do, then soak it again in water, you don't want any vinegar on your tank not unless it would be a paradise for vinegar eels. :naughty:

For the fish, I'm no expert I'll just stick and see what will be the looks of it when it's done. Hoping for the best!

nickhendrix007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
United States
It is ok to add vinegar into the soak, just make sure the tank is super clean when you set it up. Misting may be the better option though because you won't use/waste as much vinegar. Intead of dumping a bunch at a time into the tank every time you replace the water, just most the concrete Abd let it sit for a few mins and you'll use much less vinegar

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Did not know about the vinegar option. Awesome. So... I have a tank setup with fish. I don't have another of equal size. I guess I could put the pieces in a bucket and do the same to acclimate the pieces so when I add them to the tank, they are good to go?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yes ,any container will work as long as you can completely submerge the piece. Just keep checking the Ph and doing water changes till the Ph is safe for your fish and you should be good.

ChrisO11000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2017
i would let the mortar leach and test ph and compare to your tap water. When the tank w/ background is the same as the tap water, you know that the mortar is fully leached and will not harm your fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store