Advice please!

Hooper

Feeder Fish
May 17, 2017
i have acquired an aquarium, dimensions 39long 26 high 16 wide. The tank came with 4 Severum ranging from 3-6 inches long. They are pretty feisty! I am going to return three of them to the store. I'm looking for advice on whether my tank can house one of the Sevs and could I keep anything with it please?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Odd dimensions, not sure I've seen a tank of that size. It is 70 gallons. You might be okay for one severum, though it would be better if the tank was a bit longer, 39 is pretty short for a fish that can reach up to 12". It wouldn't be the worst situation in my opinion, but you would probably be better off going with a little bit smaller cichlid.

Hooper

Feeder Fish
May 17, 2017
Ok thanks guys, if I did decide to take them all back. What would you recommend for a tank this size? I really want to keep cichlids though ok.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would recommend something that maxes out 8" or smaller. A pair of Sajica would be nice, and you could keep some tetras and catfish with them as well. Anything in the cryptoheros/amatitlania genus or thoricthys would be good for a pair in that size tank. Salvini as well, although you might not have good luck with the tetras then. You have a good amount of options for smaller cichlids. If you go SA, you could do any of the dwarf cichlids like Ramirezi, apistogramma, etc. and could do a community of other fish with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store