ID in unusal doradide.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I agree with its great, remarkable closeness to Pterodoras granulosus and I agree that it is not it. Very likely it is a Pterodoras.

Most obviously to me, granulosus has far, far more aggressive scutes along its flanks, bigger, longer, with sharp hooks. This guy's armor is much more subtle and blunt.

The body shape and the eyes also point away from a granulosus.

That's all I can say without looking carefully through known doradiids or known Pterodoras species.

I've searched though planet catfish. All 68 species in that family. Nothing has come up. Unless it was one of 4 pages that has no picture.

The closest fish it looked like was the pterodoras lentiginosus. Although there is still a few features that makes this not that's fish.

Everyone ive asked is stumped, apart from the little information ive managed to find (as above).

It's deffiantly an intreasting fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
PCF doesn't list every described species. Their lists are not complete. I'd search for the latest Pterodoras revision article and/or post on PCF for an ID. Not to belittle Kolt's knowledge at all. More heads are always better, is all.

Reactions: J. H.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
PCF doesn't list every described species. Their lists are not complete. I'd search for the latest Pterodoras revision article and/or post on PCF for an ID. Not to belittle Kolt's knowledge at all. More heads are always better, is all.
I agree more heads are better. My initial ID was off, a little bit of me projecting what I'd like to find I guess. After seeing the other pics it is in my opinion of the Pterodoras Genus. I haven't seen any revisions I believe other then Pterodoras lentiginosus added as a ambiguous synonym for granulosus. So I think currently there's granulosus and lentiginosus as a synonym and rivasi who has a junior synonym of angeli.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think it's a catfish?

But in all seriousness where do all these non ID fishes come from?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From collections in the wild for the ornamental fish trade.

That's actually too how one can become an amateur / hobbyist ichthyologist - collect and document fishes and try to figure out those that have no immediate matches whether they are known or unknown, etc.

For instance this is what George Fear and Ivan Mikolji have been doing and it's pretty close to recreational and fun, adventure-filled science:

Needless to say, if one wanted to, they can and perhaps should do it in their backyard / country too.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Will watch the video at home (school blocks YT)

Most of the indigenous fish are threatened in my neck of the woods but one species of galaxias may be a few different closely related species or regional variants. Lots to do

I think the fact that these cats are so similar doesn't help

Reactions: J. H.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
That cats practically dead. I'm working away so I don't know much but apparently something moving around in side it, any ideas? I'm guessing a parasite of some sort?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hard to say with that little info and uncertainty. Taken at face value, it could be a large intestinal worm. That'd not make the cat dead. Deworming is a common and rather straightforward procedure.

It doesn't look sick or sickly in the photos.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I won't know till I get back.

I've been sent a picture. All my other fish are fine. Possibley just the stress mighy of caused it.

Hard to say with that little info and uncertainty. Taken at face value, it could be a large intestinal worm. That'd not make the cat dead. Deworming is a common and rather straightforward procedure.

It doesn't look sick or sickly in the photos.[/QUOTE/]
image.jpg

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Notice the left side is much more swollen than the other. That's apparentyl where the host is moving around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store