Things we do for our fish

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
I think the window unit is the way to go I have one on my little fish building. I have 13 tanks running largest is 220. Its easy to just set the temp to about 80 and forget about it. Yeah you have to pay for electricity. But you would pay the electricity to freeze the water too.
Precisely.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Good point, however, your freezer was already working and not really that much of an additional cost to freeze a few water bottles(tank size of course will dictate this).

Anyway, I do agree with it being a pain in the butt to use frozen bottles, but they do work in a pinch.

I just wish I could find a way to NOT need a dehumidifier in my partially finished basement in the spring/summer. My power bill goes up from $150 to $300+, and that's with me having shut down 3 tanks out of 6 in the basement this year in hopes of it helping keep humidity lower.

If I DON'T use one the humidity jumps from a tolerable 50% to 70-80% percent very quickly(which is quickly followed by moldy smell, then actual mold), especially when we have rain like we've had all week, and then sun, then rain, etc, etc

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you don't have them already tight fitting lids go a long towards lowering the humidity.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Good point, however, your freezer was already working and not really that much of an additional cost to freeze a few water bottles(tank size of course will dictate this).

Anyway, I do agree with it being a pain in the butt to use frozen bottles, but they do work in a pinch.

I just wish I could find a way to NOT need a dehumidifier in my partially finished basement in the spring/summer. My power bill goes up from $150 to $300+, and that's with me having shut down 3 tanks out of 6 in the basement this year in hopes of it helping keep humidity lower.

If I DON'T use one the humidity jumps from a tolerable 50% to 70-80% percent very quickly(which is quickly followed by moldy smell, then actual mold), especially when we have rain like we've had all week, and then sun, then rain, etc, etc
You might be able to install a high cfm vent fan to pull some of the humid air out if there is a way to run a duct outside.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB

Oh yea it is defitnely a good cheap idea in a pinch to do. It's how I got my temp back down to a safe degree. But not something I would wanna do on a permanent basis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store