Looking for a fish

Mr. Cactus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Big Malawi haps. They are some of the very few true open water freshwater fish. They will constantly swimming, and they are predatory. The fact that they like hard water makes them easier to care for for most people, and they tend to be pretty hardy. They are also true pursuit predators, something else rare for a freshwater fish. I wish I had a tank to put them in. Not my picture, but the fish on top, Champsochromis caeruleus, grows over a foot long.View attachment 1254248
Hmm they look nice they okay with tankmates?

Mr. Cactus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Big Malawi haps. They are some of the very few true open water freshwater fish. They will constantly swimming, and they are predatory. The fact that they like hard water makes them easier to care for for most people, and they tend to be pretty hardy. They are also true pursuit predators, something else rare for a freshwater fish. I wish I had a tank to put them in. Not my picture, but the fish on top, Champsochromis caeruleus, grows over a foot long.View attachment 1254248

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What about a trio of vulture catfish with a shoal of wide bar dollars and one nice big datnoid or red tail giant gourami?
And a royal plec.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
They will work with other malawi haps, maybe peacocks, big barbs, like bala, chalceous and tinfoil, Other big, but gentler cichlids, like oscars, frontosa, severums, headstanders, medium size catfish, like most pictus and synodontus. The haps themselves are very varied, all colors, from skinny to chunky to compressed body shapes. If you mix haps and don't go all male, you need to be careful or you will end up with hybridization and hybrid fry, which doesn't matter if you're not looking to sell them anyway.

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
jag cichlid, shortnose gar, bluegill, piranha. look through all these suggestions research them, decide which you like best then comeback to ask for advice on care of them.

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
a lot of these predatory fish are labeled as "advanced" just because they are big and predatory, most of them have pretty simple care. florida gar for instance can live in a 40 degree stagnant ditch, yet most website have them labeled as advance all because they are big and have pointy teeth. you have a ton of options, once you have it narrowed down to a few come and ask us about them, we could spend the next 5 months listing off option. not tryng to be dismissive i dont want you to get overwhelmed as people keep throwing options at you, because if youre anything like me you keep saying " ooh i like that one" and end up with 100 fish on your list of possibilities.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store