Treating 2 MASSIVE 780g bass tanks

Shenanigaens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2017
So I've recently been given charge of two giant tanks in two different locations. The fish are all wild caught and one tank for sure has lice, pretty sure the other does as well, and pretty sure there's anchor worms and poseidon knows what else.

So I know dimilin and Trichlorfon work well, but is there a particular product that would work best? And what's a good source to buy a pretty good quantity. All my sources aim toward the 55g hobbyist and upscaling normal tank doses to 1600g doesn't seem like the smart monetary option.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Trichlorfon works better than dimilin but is toxic unfortunately even to fish if not dosed right. Availability is somewhat limited too.

Dimilin can be used for both fish lice and anchor worms. Safe with most fish. Although a potassium permagenate dip will be better if anchor worms removal isn't effective.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I am not familiar with the use of the medications named so bear that in mind. My take is more a question of can the problems be treated in a smaller "hospital tank"? I have done this with more expensive meds as it takes less to get the needed concentration in a smaller tank.

I also get that the entire large tanks may be infested and may need to be cleansed (perhaps disinfected with a Clorox solution) as well? The logistics of keeping the fish in a smaller tank while the big tanks are disinfected may be a problem.
Add to this it may be likely that the beneficial bacteria (bb) colonies may be wiped out and an uncontaminated source of bb colonies will be needed.

Good luck

Shenanigaens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2017
Quarantine isn't really an option, unfortunately. I swung by the store earlier and there's a lout on another fish, and the guy I deloused yesterday is covered in them again. The only decor in the tank is a pretty sizable stump, so I'm sure that's going to be the breeding ground, but that's not coming out. Have to do it the long and hard way.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
if you have a vet you can work with. It might be worth looking into compounded Lufenuron. might actually be reasonable. not sure though

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Dimilin-x is cheap and works very well. Readily available on ebay and amazon. My systems are 720 gallon ponds in rows. I've used Diflubenzuron (active ingredient) for fish lice and anchor worms before without issue. Just dumped in filter. I've had baby stingrays born into water that was actively being treated with Dimilin and they were fine. So toxicity is limited at recommended dosages.

Nationalfishpharm was mentioned earlier. They are a great source. I've never ordered Diflubenzuron or potassium Permangenate from them. But I source praziquantel and nitrofurazone from them and have been very pleased as it's more affordable than prazi-pro which is watered down and binox which jungle discontinued. I'm sure everything they carry is quality.

Reactions: Shenanigaens
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store