Lungfish Shedding?

blackthumb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Yakima,Wa.
Well i have been away for awhile building a new stand for my 100 gal. plexi.,and i am waiting for my new filter to also arrive,so i'm a week away from setting that one up.
I have read in other posts about some of you seeing white patches on some of your lf,but i have not seen this condition on my lf untill 4 days ago. These patches are smaller than a dime all the way to 2" long! Now when these patches appear,the skin peels off and he looks as good as new,kind of like a snake shedding.
The water parimeters are good,still getting 50% water changes every 4-5 days and he is eating VERY well. My heaters are covered so that eliminates that,no live food introduced,no changes in anything.
Perplexed,Blackthumb:popcorn:

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
do you have pics of these patches? cause ive seen some white patches on my lung which i thought was ick but isn't and it does look like it shedding skin too because the fish color goes from dark to light..he's feeding like a pig and is very active...

blackthumb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Yakima,Wa.
Well i'm glad i finally got some interest in my post,for awhile i was beginning to think that my question wasn't important enough,or since there wasn't any pics. it wasn't worth answering.(thank you!)
These patches come and go in a couple of days to a week,and as stated before,when the skin peels off the skin underneath looks brand new. Like there never was a problem. The person i got this fish from stated that when he had him,these white patches would appear for no apparent reason and then peel off and then he would measure his lung and discover that it had grown a little.(i haven't measured him yet)
I do not possess the equipment to take pics. as yet but i am working on that.
These patches vary in intensity from opaque to deep white and do not appear to be raised above skin level or fuzzy or stringy or infected in any way. Like i stated before lots of water changes at a high percentage,good water quality so i am a little puzzeled as to what they are.
Thats all for now,as i have a water change to do,thanks again for the interest,blackthumb.
PS I am in the process of procurring another lf that another person is tired of and he is approx. 25" long and he states 6 years old,sounds like he's not feeding enough or he's not keeping the water warm enough.(He doesn't heat the tank and when i went to see this fish the house wasn't warm at all.)

blackthumb:popcorn:

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
your welcome and your right it sems to hae something to do with his growth..its kinda like a stretch mark that comes and goes..the only difference is i dont actually see the skin peel off but rather the white patches seem to fade back into the skin...:)

bluekrissyspikes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
canada
i have seen similar spots on my lung fish.. i'm not sure what they are from but they went away almost as fast as they showed up.... i suppose it is just something that happens to them.

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
it also happens to mine but i know he was scratched from the bogwood and a little heater burn(i've sorted that now!) but heals really quick

Ledzepp6266

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
This is interesting as I haven't experienced this in my years with lungs...perhaps a pix to share will be good! Thks thread starter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store