Platinum Attempt

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Looks like you have a really good start on your own project. I actually had a large shuffle of tanks and now it's more of a fish room. I bought the blue gene gold jacks so I have no way to tell if they really have the blue genes that I need but all the fry appear to be gold genes. That's why I decided to kick up my mix a little and got the platinums. I now have all of the color variations but have to wait for the fish to grow out. The platinums are almost 2" and the blues are between 3/4 and 1.5"

Reactions: YankeeJack

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Its been a busy few days I figured I would take a moment to try to reread the note you dropped Dempski D.

First no issue with the "thread jacking", I think that is really what this is all about sharing information along with the trails that everyone has experienced. Yankeejack has posted a similar thread on here where he is attempting to get platinums as well.

Unfortunately I think you are right in that the fry all appear to be gold. As I didn't breed the parents myself and much like you did I ordered them as juviniles they were sold as blue gene gold jack Dempsey's. That is much of what has driven me to buy the platinum's in an attempt to breed them to one of the golds giving me 100% what I thought I was starting with in the gold blue gene jacks. I also have some blues that I could breed to a gold and get 100% blue gene gold gene. Either way it looks like I am taking a step back to growing out fish and order to get the platinums. (the good news is the three I purchased are eating like pigs and already have noticeable growth.

The gold gene Dempsey's should look like a standard jack Dempsey's. Where did you get the blue genes from? If we assume that no one lied on what they shipped you (i'm probably only skeptical because I haven't seen any blues or platinum's from my attempts) then you should have 25% blue gold gene jacks, 25% gold gene jacks and 50% gold gene/blue gene jacks (of course you wont be able to tell the last two apart). I will be very interested if you get some blues out of that batch.

Reactions: YankeeJack

Dempski D.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Seattle
Got the blue gene regulars from LFS. They said they came from their supplier who brings in the electric blues. What makes me nervous is that they had a batch of regular dempseys the same size (about 2 in) almost as if someone visually separated what they thought were blue genes. The more I talk to breeders the more that I hear that you can visually see the difference with a blue gene fish. I don't believe that until I see it. But the female blue genes I have almost look like female green terrors when they got their colors on...so...I guess we'll see.
One thing that seems to be universal is electric blue or platinum fry tend to be fairly weak. The fact that my golds fry can't survive more than a week or so gives me hope that they both have the blue gene, but definitely not certainty.
I'll keep you posted on what happens. I'm down to about 80-90 fry. Some have appeared to have developed a swim bladder issue and these fry appear lighter in color. Like you, they are making it difficult to clean the tank and I am currently doing a light treatment of melafix and small water changes. Hopefully we'll get a good idea of what these guys are soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store