Chancho Female vs. Male differences

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
What do folks see at the main difference when younger b/w male and female chancho? I thought I had a male, but Ken Davis was at my house and he thought the below fish was likely a female (note, the pic is 6 months old - will get an updated pic shortly). I have heard black in the fin, which this fish does not have at all. But I have seen pics on the web of supposed females w/ and w/out black in the dorsal. The below fish came from COTA. Unfortunately it is in a tank where capture is next to impossible, so venting is not possible at this time. Thanks.

Chancho 1 10-21-2016.JPG

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Here is an 8" female I used to have

You can clearly see a lot of black in the dorsal. I'd say yours looks more like a male to me but could be wrong, did Ken say what he based his opinion on?

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Ken thought for the size (around 7 - maybe close to 8" TL now) that it should have much more of a blockhead - I'll try to get an updated pic. Secondarily, the fish is pretty peaceful w/ his/her tank mates, despite showing some signs of breeding behavior, like head shaking. I guess all of his males have been insane in the past - way worse than a regular midas. FYI - I've cleared out all of the other amphs in the 300 - only a larger male creamsicle midas and a mixed bag of other fish. On the amph front, I previously kept larger male Trimac, Amarillo and Barred Midas - they all left the chancho alone, which seems to not come out too much, except to eat aggressively - never returning fire or engaging when chased.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I never kept a male, only this female, so I can't comment on the difference in aggression. This girl was pretty mellow, did not back down from other fish but did not ever start problems. You can see she has a good amount of "block head" going on, definitely much more than your fish. Does yours appear to be growing still? Mine was acquired from Jeff Rapps, I got her at this size and she did not grow any more in the time I had her, which was probably around a year. If yours continues to grow, it is most likely a Male, as I don't think females get much bigger than 8". She went into my buddy's 285 gallon after my tank and stayed this size.

sbgbuddy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Riverview MI
IMG_6809.PNG My male from COTA had him a couple years now. I own over 20 Amphs several Types. I don't find them to be more agresive then any of the others.

Reactions: Done45

sbgbuddy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Riverview MI
He's beautiful - like all your fish it seems - thanks for sharing. I'm curious, with all your Amphilophus species experience, do you have favorite species, and if so why?
Thank you, for me it would be any of the Midas type. citrenellus ,chancho,Amarillo,Xilo excedra. They all are very similar in temperament. I love the yellows and greens and Browns and reds you see in the barred type. Specially when there breeding. And a lot of these species are hard to come by. Buy if I could only keep one it would be probably just a bright orange/red Midas with a nice nuchal.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
well you will know for sure if it grows past 10" or so that you have a male, I don't think females get that large, mine seemed to stop at 8" in length and just and grow thicker

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store