Please, help locate a specimen of Leiarius pictus aka Marbled Sailfin Pim catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi All!

Please, help out. I am placing this call here for hopefully better exposure than in the Catfish section.

Leiarius pictus young 1.JPG

My friend and fellow fish head from Orlando Jeff aka V victor448 has been looking earnestly for another Leiarius pictus specimen. He has some and had raised scores of them and studies them in such depth like no other hobbyist I know.

The season is running out and it'd be greatly appreciated if someone helped Jeff find the object of his heart's desire. There are a couple out there currently, like at BlueGrassAquatics and Exotic Fish Shop, but Jeff needs to start with a perfect, undamaged specimen to make his study relevant. In particular he is making strides in understanding the erosion of pictus luxurious dorsal fin and the underlying reasons.

He has been trying most of our usual vendors but so far to no avail:

-- Wes Wong of Rare Fish
-- Raymond Chan of Amazing Fish
-- Mark Chen of Discus Origins
-- Jeff Rapps
-- WetSpot he hasn't tried yet but will
-- Monster Aquarium
-- Gunpowder Aquatics
-- John Kreatsoulas aka snookn21
-- Predatory Fins
-- other MFK vendors, like Aquascape, etc.
-- reputable vendors on Aquabid and Ebay.

Thus, the hope is that someone might see one that he missed or point to a venue less traveled.

Thank you in advance.

PS: It looks like this :)

Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  1.JPG Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  2.JPG Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  3.JPG Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  4.jpg Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  6.JPG Leiarius pictus old 1.JPG Leiarius pictus old 2.JPG Leiarius pictus old 3.JPG Leiarius pictus old 4.JPG Leiarius pictus old 5.JPG Leiarius pictus old 6.JPG Leiarius pictus old 7.JPG Leiarius pictus young 1.JPG Leiarius pictus young 2.JPG Leiarius pictus young 3.JPG Leiarius pictus, Jr.jpg

View attachment 1254502

Leiarius pictus young 1.JPG

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
J julnj2 had one for sale. Not sure if available. Located in apollo beach.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Different one. The one brought up also is an option. I could get 2..... I could ship one out for him if he wants to buy one. I'd pick it up and ship it out for him. Neither shop ships I believe but I have shipped many fish. I have not been too the tamed waters shop yet. I think tamed waters has a PayPal account. We could chat and maybe he can buy it from them and I could ship it to help him out.

victor448

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
florida
Different one. The one brought up also is an option. I could get 2..... I could ship one out for him if he wants to buy one. I'd pick it up and ship it out for him. Neither shop ships I believe but I have shipped many fish. I have not been too the tamed waters shop yet. I think tamed waters has a PayPal account. We could chat and maybe he can buy it from them and I could ship it to help him out.
Gorak,
I started a conversation with you. To reply to your Pm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store