180 on main floor

MattyV55

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2016
Kingston MA
will this tank (about 2000 pounds) be too much weight in my living room? Against the wall on the edge of the house. There is a basement underneath

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
will this tank (about 2000 pounds) be too much weight in my living room? Against the wall on the edge of the house. There is a basement underneath

I personally would suggest hiring a professional house contractor before deciding to do that.

Reactions: skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I personally would suggest hiring a professional house contractor before deciding to do that.
Hello; I agree with this. Too many unknown variables for me (and likely anyone) to be able give you a proper answer. Someone with good knowledge of structure needs to have an actual "look see" at the floor, it's supports and the actual condition of the material.

Do you own the house?

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thi
Hello; I agree with this. Too many unknown variables for me (and likely anyone) to be able give you a proper answer. Someone with good knowledge of structure needs to have an actual "look see" at the floor, it's supports and the actual condition of the material.

Do you own the house?
I agree with this and I am a carpenter and joiner by trade.
Without knowing size condition and fixings used on your floor it really is impossible to say.
Seek a professional opinion.
Floor joists may need bracing to help with additional weight. A lot can depend which way your floor joist are running in comparison to tanks position.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I just asked close to the same question a few days ago. Same kinda answers. Haha.
After everyone basically agreeing a pro needs to see the floor to say for sure, I'll just have my husbands uncle look at it. (His area of work) Since I'm not currently looking for a bigger tank I can take my time.
Better safe then sorry.

Reactions: tlindsey

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Do you have any carpenter friends? You can reinforce the floor with 2x12 and get some adjustable lallt columns to support the weight. I have seen this done a few times with tanks way bigger than 180g. You will be fine

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I had a 240g on my second story. Against a low bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists are a must. I also asked my engineering friends as well....

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Do you own the house?
Hello; If you do own the house then you can do anything you like. We just cannot tell you it will be OK from a distance. Some floors may hold up and others may not hold a smaller tank.
I had a 240g on my second story
Hello; Yes I am not saying the OP cannot use his tank. You consulted engineers who apparently gave you some confidence to go ahead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store