Oct 16, 2015
england
4 hujeta gars
1 wolf cichlid
1 featherfin catfish
1 leopord pleco
20 silver dollars
1 tyre track eel?
Wouls that work? Thanks for all all the help will post pictures of the tank soon :)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
20 silver dollars is too many, I would go for like 9. Wolf cichlid, I assume you mean dovii, will not work. Too aggressive to keep in a community and will get too large as well. Replace the dovii with a less aggressive cichlid, like a chocolate, severum, melanura, Oscar. Then you should be okay.

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
20 silver dollars is too many, I would go for like 9. Wolf cichlid, I assume you mean dovii, will not work. Too aggressive to keep in a community and will get too large as well. Replace the dovii with a less aggressive cichlid, like a chocolate, severum, melanura, Oscar. Then you should be okay.
ah okay thank you very much could I jaguar cichlid work or what about the Midas cichlid? thank you for your advice :)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Those could work, they are aggressive species but in my experience mostly are violent with other cichlids. Since the other inhabitants are all oddballs, they would probably ignore them. So it might work, but you would still be safer with a more peaceful species. Some more suggestions would be green terror, pearsei, bocourti, loisellei (like jaguar but smaller, less mean)

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
Those could work, they are aggressive species but in my experience mostly are violent with other cichlids. Since the other inhabitants are all oddballs, they would probably ignore them. So it might work, but you would still be safer with a more peaceful species. Some more suggestions would be green terror, pearsei, bocourti, loisellei (like jaguar but smaller, less mean)
oh okay that does make sense quite like Oscars and green terrors?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
yeh man I like stuff like that what you have in mind? I was thinking the ornate or nile bicher?
Any Bichir pretty much, they're pretty easy to care for. Check out the poly subforum it's the best forum on this website. They all know a lot more than I do, I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to Bichirs.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think a few hujeta gars and Bichir and one feature cichlid could make a nice tank.
I'm no expert on bichirs so I won't go into those in detail.
I know that getting food to them in the presence of greedy fish like some cichlids can pose a challenge. That may be something to be aware of.
I think some of the cichlids you have shown interest in so far are just a little bit too big or aggressive.
If you want a bit of a variety of shoaling fish,oddballs and cichlids in a 150 you would most likely have less hassle with south American cichlids.
Chocolate cichlids are large,peaceful and absolutely beautiful fish when they mature and put on some size.May be worth looking into.
Other cichlids that I think would be suitable are heros sp Rotkiel,rivulatus and geophagus brasiliensis.
Brasiliensis are another stunning looking cichlid when large.They can be very aggressive towards other cichlids but in my experience ignore non cichlid tank mates and make a great looking centre piece.
If you wanted a group of cichlids festivums would be a good choice as they are small mouthed cichlids and won't out compete your bichirs for food.
You could also look at catfish like certain L numbers or hoplosternum.
Going back to hujeta gars.They can be a little difficult to get to eat when you first get them,refusing everything but live food.With a little patience they can be trained to eat prepared foods.
When you purchase your stock,try to make sure they are of comparable sizes.
You don't want them preying on each other.I would also make any cichlids the last fish to be added to the tank.
If you add the cichlids first they will sometimes act like they own it.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store