Growing out jack

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
That's how it was when I had mine.The bigger it got the meaner it became and it had the teeth to put a hurtin on anything that tried to stand up to it.
Yeah I think what he couldn't eat he would just try to kill, I'm going to be very wary of the dentistry I hear the jaws are quite powerful. What did you feed yours on?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just feeders back then.That was before I learned of training fish onto other foods.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I lucked out he was on pellets when I bought him, I've given him a couple feeders dont think I will again I don't wanna risk disease or parasites too much most expensive 2" fish I've ever bought haha he's getting a mixture of pellets. Did you find there appetite huge?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed on discontinuing the feeders.The pellets should provide all the nutrition it needs.It's been quite a while but I don't recall mine being particularly greedy

CairnsLocal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
I feed mine on prawns, he seems to thrive on em. I'll put up some pics and video when I get home in a few days. Mine's been in a pond since he was about 6 inches. Can keep them with other fish as long as you've got plenty of structure and hiding places

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I feed mine on prawns, he seems to thrive on em. I'll put up some pics and video when I get home in a few days. Mine's been in a pond since he was about 6 inches. Can keep them with other fish as long as you've got plenty of structure and hiding places
He seems to love structure himself, if I get a monster set up might try some bigger tank mates. I'm thinking of making prawn the staple of his diet when he gets some more size, rather then throwing bags of pellets in there haha

CairnsLocal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
to start with I fed him segments of prawn. If he's really small try peeling them. It's one of their natural foods in the wild

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store