Ply indoor pond / tank build . Time for bigger

jasoncambs

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
peterborough uk
What you see is the bottom . I will be sealing and then i will fix a full ply sheet then flip it over, repeat the timber around the top as i have done with the bottom . Then i will fit vertical bracing timbers all around . A final seal then a liner will go in .
To finish it off i will put decking board around the rim and skin the outside with a as yet undecided material .

I will update with progress pics untill completion .
Plan is to move my israeli kio into it .

jasoncambs

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
peterborough uk
So i am not sure if i should use a sealer paint or a pond liner . Maybe people can give ideas on this as i will be at that stage in a weeks time .
:)

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have never did this so takes my advice as opinions not fact.
But I believe I would go with a liner. It seems to me that it would be easier, and less likely to have leaks.

Reactions: jasoncambs

jasoncambs

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
peterborough uk
I really want to get more done this weekend . I have checked for any bowing of the panels and found a difference of 3mm on the end panels . So i will be draining and fitting a horizontal brace in the centre of the end panels . Need to drain it to move it to get to one end . I am not sure if the 3mm of bowing on 18mm ply is acceptable but just to be safe :).
Any thoughts on this from experienced ply tank builders . ??

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Looks good. Flexing is expected as long as it's built strong enough to not come apart I would worry. Because you are using a liner and the liner will flex with the plywood you shouldn't have any problems.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I meant to say I wouldn't worry. If the flex isn't enough to make the tank fail you should be okay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store