600g DIY plywood build

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
1 year pic update! Bedsides the stingray taking a spill over the overflow and nearly scaring me to death, there are no issues to report. Cannot express how satisfied I am with the whole build. Zero problems and almost zero maintenance. I spend more time taking these pictures and feeding the fish than I do working on the tank. IMG_8002.JPG IMG_7737.JPG IMG_7988.JPG IMG_7943.JPG IMG_7706.JPG IMG_8061.JPG IMG_8038.JPG IMG_8048.JPG IMG_7453.JPG IMG_7702.JPG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Stupid question, do you only do one layer of screws? Meaning it looks like you used 1.25in screws so I'm assuming you glued your main pieces of plywood and then put the screws through then frame around the main pieces. Or did you use small screws to hold the main pieces of plywood together?

Reactions: MASTERTANKER

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Excellent build man. Keep us updated every so often, I love tuning back into old threads.
Thank you! I plan on it, will be nice to see how the tank ages and changes as well as if the plywood holds up for years to come.
Stupid question, do you only do one layer of screws? Meaning it looks like you used 1.25in screws so I'm assuming you glued your main pieces of plywood and then put the screws through then frame around the main pieces. Or did you use small screws to hold the main pieces of plywood together?
There is indeed a small layer of 2-inch screws holding together the main 5 sides as well as the top bracing in place underneath the reinforcement bracing. I also glued everywhere that the plywood meets.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thank you! I plan on it, will be nice to see how the tank ages and changes as well as if the plywood holds up for years to come.

There is indeed a small layer of 2-inch screws holding together the main 5 sides as well as the top bracing in place underneath the reinforcement bracing. I also glued everywhere that the plywood meets.
So you used 2in nails and 1.25in nails? Is there any risk of splitting the plywood when you join them? Guess you need to be pretty accurate

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
So you used 2in nails and 1.25in nails? Is there any risk of splitting the plywood when you join them? Guess you need to be pretty accurate
Yeah the 2 different sizes were all I used. There's always a risk of splitting the wood, but I didn't have a problem using the specialized screws and going slow. You could always predrill your holes if you are that worried, but as there are hundreds of screws I just bought good ones and didn't worry too much about it.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
This is an amazing build. I built a 240 about 6 years ago, and am now looking to upgrade to a 500 in the next year or so (Have to build a camper first).

Hope you get many great years with that tank.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
This is an amazing build. I built a 240 about 6 years ago, and am now looking to upgrade to a 500 in the next year or so (Have to build a camper first).

Hope you get many great years with that tank.
Thank you very much! That's good to hear, good luck with the tank, let me know how it goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store