SETTING UP NEW TANK AND NEED ADVICE

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
A little overwhelmed with this section of forum. I would like to use live plants but don't have experience with them, would prefer not buying a bunch of plants that will be dead and yellow in a week.

About the tank, 75 gallon fresh water tank, medium light, sand substrate with just driftwood. Currently using canister filter and led light bar. I would like plants that are hardy without any special light or substrate requirements. I prefer not to have to use co2 if I can.

I'm looking for short list of plants to get started. Think I want some type of spreading ground cover, a few medium sized plants for the middle ground, and maybe some type of floating plants. This tank will eventually be turned into an odoe like tank.

Advice appreciated, I've been reading these threads for days and now a little confused, just need someone to help sum up a decent list.

Last edited:

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Good starters would be anubias (any specie), attach moss to your driftwood and the easiest ground cover for me are dwarf sags. For floaters, I have frogbits (I tie fishing line to two suction cups to contain them in one area). With any plants, ferts, good lighting and co2 always helps.

I have to throw this out there...an odoe will outgrow a 75 ga in no time.

Reactions: Yohanon

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Thanks, kind of had a very similar idea to the plants you mentioned, glad to have someone reinforce the choice. The 75 gal will be a grow out tank, unless I buy larger Odoe then they will go right into 265 gal.

Good starters would be anubias (any specie), attach moss to your driftwood and the easiest ground cover for me are dwarf sags. For floaters, I have frogbits (I tie fishing line to two suction cups to contain them in one area). With any plants, ferts, good lighting and co2 always helps.

I have to throw this out there...an odoe will outgrow a 75 ga in no time.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
A little overwhelmed with this section of forum. I would like to use live plants but don't have experience with them, would prefer not buying a bunch of plants that will be dead and yellow in a week.

About the tank, 75 gallon fresh water tank, medium light, sand substrate with just driftwood. Currently using canister filter and led light bar. I would like plants that are hardy without any special light or substrate requirements. I prefer not to have to use co2 if I can.

I'm looking for short list of plants to get started. Think I want some type of spreading ground cover, a few medium sized plants for the middle ground, and maybe some type of floating plants. This tank will eventually be turned into an odoe like tank.

Advice appreciated, I've been reading these threads for days and now a little confused, just need someone to help sum up a decent list.
A sand substrate is no ideal for plants, so your best bet will be rhysome type plants like anubias and java fern attached to your driftwood. They are some of the hardiest and most carefree plants available.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Java fern is another option that will work

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Water sprite and wisteria will grow with low nutrients and low lighting. I would plan on placing them in the back. Java fern, and java moss along with some anubias with the floating frog bit would look very nice. Low maintenance low light.

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
That's almost exactly what I went with. Java moss, java ferns, anubias, and frogbits. Also testing a free amazon swords, they have been in there for over a month and all seems to be fine. Looks decent but time will tell. Glad I got into the live plants, eventually may take the plunge with a co2 system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store