Silver Arowana acting very strange please help!!

Zachhh12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
Hello, this is my first post on mfk. I purchased a 5" silver arowana yesterday and put him in with my 7" diameter motoro stingray and the arowana has been acting very strange. He is not swimming all the time. When I go near the tank, he will just hide and stay still on the bottom of the tank. What could be causing this? I tried to feed him and he hasn't eaten. I have blackwater in the tank to try to help out too.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, this is my first post on mfk. I purchased a 5" silver arowana yesterday and put him in with my 7" diameter motoro stingray and the arowana has been acting very strange. He is not swimming all the time. When I go near the tank, he will just hide and stay still on the bottom of the tank. What could be causing this? I tried to feed him and he hasn't eaten. I have blackwater in the tank to try to help out too.

Welcome to MFK☺ Give Aro time to adjust to the new environment, and Aro can go without food for a few days. Toss in some floating plants to make Aro feel more secure.

Zachhh12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
Ok I have some live plants that I will put in the tank and just let them float at the surface. I usually do 50% water changes every other day to every three days. Should I still perform them when I usually do or will this cause too much stress? How long do you think this behavior will continue for? Thanks in advance, Zach

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok I have some live plants that I will put in the tank and just let them float at the surface. I usually do 50% water changes every other day to every three days. Should I still perform them when I usually do or will this cause too much stress? How long do you think this behavior will continue for? Thanks in advance, Zach
I would stick to your wc routine. Tbh can't give you time on how long the behavior will last but hopefully the Aro will get adjusted. Keep offering floating foods pellets, Freeze-dried bloodworms ,krill and shrimp. Also learned from a member bumping up the temp helps stimulate appetite.

Zachhh12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
Ok I did everything as usual. He still hasn't eaten and hides behind a rock in the tank and rests motionless. Sometimes I catch him swimming a little. Still have yet to see him eat..

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok I did everything as usual. He still hasn't eaten and hides behind a rock in the tank and rests motionless. Sometimes I catch him swimming a little. Still have yet to see him eat..

Please be patient until no longer view you as a threat.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
He is likely adjusting. Give him time, dim the light, make sure your ammonia and nitrite tests read zero by liquid test kit and the water is well aerated but the flow is not too strong that would blow him around. Make sure there is no bullying either.

Reactions: tlindsey

A-Train

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Florida
Small arowana are usually very skittish when you first get them like everyone else said give him time what you can try to do is get feeders not the goldfish but the feeder guppies and see if he will eat them don't get too many probably just a dollars worth and see if he will eat them if later on he starts to swim normally and still hasn't eaten try giving him food that will float and be above his head that kind of entices them to eat good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store