What puffer is this?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Great picture. I love CRS.

Mine doesn't seem to bother my large cherry shrimp but I am sure he eats shrimplets, and I've seen him check out smaller shrimp, too. They're pretty quick though. I have lots of hiding places but I also don't care because cherries are cheap.

You're brave! LOL

So do you run your tank temp a bit lower then?

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Great picture. I love CRS.

Mine doesn't seem to bother my large cherry shrimp but I am sure he eats shrimplets, and I've seen him check out smaller shrimp, too. They're pretty quick though. I have lots of hiding places but I also don't care because cherries are cheap.

You're brave! LOL

So do you run your tank temp a bit lower then?
Actually I live in southern California, we are pretty well into our summer already, it's pretty difficult to keep the tank around 78, usually it's closer to 80.

Reactions: magpie

KnownToSome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2017
Thanks guys so much for recommending that puffer! I actually came across a YouTube video shortly after making this thread, where Corey from Aquarium Co-op did a fish shipment unboxing where he received a Spotted Congo Puffer and was talking all about it. After I saw that I went into hardcore research mode and I really think this guy is the sweet spot. Getting large enough to be easily spotted in a 75, yet staying small enough to be completely happy in a 75 for its entire life.

I might have not made it clear, but I already have the 75 gallon tank setup and running, its currently a planted tank, but will be tearing it down shortly and making it into a suitable puffer tank.

Is there a Spotted Congo Puffer whisperer here on these forums? Anyone have one and know EVERYTHING about it? There seems to be not a lot of information on them.
Hey man, I guess "puffer whisperer" might be pullin my skirt a little, but I have been called something similar lol is there anything in specific you are curious about? These puffers are really the Benz of FW puffers- they have looks, class, personality, and everyone covets them. They are one of the two peaceful FW puffers. The Asellus (amazon) puffer is the other, but not what your craving I assure you. The beautiful thing about these guys is they are considered lurkers, but have a Hunter personality (they are more active and social, have phenomenal bonds with their owners, and are able to be easily viewed without searching the substrate bed). They readily accept basically all common puffer food, and here's the cool ****... you can BREED them!!!!!

They aren't sexually dimorphic, however they are peaceful enough to be with their own kind (without knowing the male to female ratio first) and will reproduce given the appropriate environment!!!!

Reactions: Hendre

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Alright... well.... It would appear that a sptted congo puffer, is still a puffer and doesn't mind making a $10 shrimp a snack.

I just watched him chomp down on one of my Crystal Red Shrimps... I watched him do it, I was like, hm... He's taking an awful close look at that Shri - oh my god he ate him!

The good news is that I have completely torn down the 75 gallon when it was a planted tank, I replace the substrate with 120lbs of black diamond blasting sand, and today I was finally able to get a good deal on a bunch of drift wood. I also have all the rocks I need, so I just need to hardscape this tank and then get it planted and I can get him out of the 20L and into the 75!

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Hi Everyone, found someone in Canada who can get them, they're only available july and august apparently... hoping to learn a bit more and hopefully grab one or two puffers next summer!

Is it easy for a seller to sex these things? if i could get a male and female would definitely be nice (hope to breed them...) buying a group of these is sadly not an option due to the cost :(

Reactions: magpie and J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store