Could I keep a arowana in a 220 gal tank

Canadianfishkeeper07

Feeder Fish
May 30, 2017
Hey guys was wondering if I could keep a arowana in my new 220 gallon tank (any species I know some are more aggressive then others) also would like to know if I could keep some species with it such as discus ,silver dollars or cichlids . If you guys have any suggestion on it I would much appreciate it would like a tank with a centrepiece fish with tank mates to complement it the tank is currently empty thanks in advance
---
TMA: Tue May 30 2017 00:48:08 GMT-0600 (MDT).jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys was wondering if I could keep a arowana in my new 220 gallon tank (any species I know some are more aggressive then others) also would like to know if I could keep some species with it such as discus ,silver dollars or cichlids . If you guys have any suggestion on it I would much appreciate it would like a tank with a centrepiece fish with tank mates to complement it the tank is currently empty thanks in advance
---
View attachment 1255414

Welcome to MFK☺ I know 220 would only be temporary for a Silver Aro.

Suga

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2017
Florida
I have two (black & silver) on 220. Bought them a couple months ago. I got rid of many cichlids but left jurupari, acara, chocolate, and vieja. They are considered peaceful and they range in size 3" to 5" (to big to be eaten but too small to harass).

The black about 11" and silver about 12". On occasions, they fight with the black one always loses, but the damage is minor (split fins never missing scales). SO I still refuse to get rid one. If I have to do it again, I would stick with one though.

Canadianfishkeeper07

Feeder Fish
May 30, 2017
Ok I was thinking a Red and gold mix arowana and I was hoping to keep with discus Im only gonna put fish in I can keep long term as this is my show tank

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
If it is an Asian or Australian arowana and the tank is at least 2.5' wide then you could keep one arowana for life in it imo. As for tankmates, at that tank size I would keep it solo. You might be able to get some sort of cichlid combination to work but most likely the arowana will get bullied or all your tank mates will have torn up fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store