Water hyacinth

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ignoring the plants eventual size and how fast it propagates, what are we thinking about lighting requirements. Obviously their high light, but what do you guys think would actually be required to keep them healthy?
Good ferts

Reactions: GamerChick5567

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I've tried growing Water Hyacinth indoors twice. I've taken newer WH plants from my pond and let them float in one of my planted tanks but both times they died.

-I dose my planted tanks with dry ferts from gla (potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, and potassium or sodium phosphate + trace elements) so I know the WH had adequate amounts of macro and micro nutrients. The other plants grow well.

-I had ~72 watts LED 460/660nm grow lights and ~46 watts 6,500k fluorescent over a 30 gallon tank which is pretty high. The lights were a few inches above the WH ... too far away to cause a heat problem.

-pH, KH, GH, and TDS of the tank water were virtually the same as the source (pond).

-Water temperature shouldn't have been an issue and the air temperature indoors is close to ideal for Water Hyacinth (68-72º).

I couldn't figure out why the WH wouldn't grow.

Post #28 in the thread below duanes duanes states that he's found that WH simply doesn't do well under artificial light. That's the only explanation I can think of based on my experience.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/good-plant-for-my-sump.683463/

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Artificial light never worked for me, I even tried in a sunlit window box with glass ceiling and south facing exposure. They lasted a little longer, but didn't make it thru a long Wisconsin winter.

According to the DNR web site, they are now considered an invasive species, to be regulated, even in cold Wisconsin

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I too have tried fertilizers with no luck. I've also put aerators directly under the roots. One thing I have not tried is a cold water approach indoors...They die outside when it gets colder but perhaps the roots need cooler water?

Reactions: MrsE88

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Here they thrive in one river where the temp is usually between 54 and 67 farenheit

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That could be. Mine were staying alive, not thriving or growing. But alive in my basement with a grow light with temps down to 55. But then my koi ate them all:/

I guess I'll just be experimenting to see if I can get them to make it.

duanes duanes are they invasive to mn too? I don't see how they could be here or in Wisconsin over the winter. The leaves go black and die off just from early may frost!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the Minnesota DNR is more realistic (I didn't see it on their list) than Wisconsin, unless Wisconsin is trying to get ahead of global warming. But I seriously doubt there is that kind of forward thinking by the current administration in WI these days.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
duanes duanes lol. I think wh will be the least of their worries then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store