CL with white tips on tail? Please help

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I recently noticed that most of my clown loaches are missing the very end tips to their tails. Dose it look like someone is nipping at them or is is something more serious? I have 12 clowns, 6 around 6cm and 6 between 15-18cm. Tank mates are 2 baby Texas and baby red Severum, bristlenose, L333 pleco and ghost knife. Water is perfect. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 nitrate is about 10. Only the clowns are affected. What are your thoughts?

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Keep an eye on the Cichlids looks like nipping. I personally don't know if other CL's could be the culprits.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
i thought it could be the cichlids but havent seen it happen??? the cichilds are pretty small, like about as big as the smallest clowns. I have 2x texas, one bout 6cm and one about 4cm and one red severum about 6cm. Smallest clowns about 6cm. Just hoping its not fin rot or something

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i thought it could be the cichlids but havent seen it happen??? the cichilds are pretty small, like about as big as the smallest clowns. I have 2x texas, one bout 6cm and one about 4cm and one red severum about 6cm. Smallest clowns about 6cm. Just hoping its not fin rot or something

The bottom pic looks like a perfect bite. How large is your GK?

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
bgh is18-20cm....he was only moved to that tank about 5 days ago. I picked up an oscar from my lfs, day after i got the oscar i noticed he was acting weird so i went back and all oscars from that tank were breathing heavy and not looking good.... i was p-ed off as it was the oscar i been serching ( great colour) for and now it was sick and the rest of my fish are at risk. LFS told me to move my bgk pleco and bristlenose to my other tankl (clown loACH tank) and treat my cichlid tank with the fluke work/tape worm meds they gave me. The oscar died =( and now not sure what is happening in my CL tank

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I
bgh is18-20cm....he was only moved to that tank about 5 days ago. I picked up an oscar from my lfs, day after i got the oscar i noticed he was acting weird so i went back and all oscars from that tank were breathing heavy and not looking good.... i was p-ed off as it was the oscar i been serching ( great colour) for and now it was sick and the rest of my fish are at risk. LFS told me to move my bgk pleco and bristlenose to my other tankl (clown loACH tank) and treat my cichlid tank with the fluke work/tape worm meds they gave me. The oscar died =( and now not sure what is happening in my CL tank
I personally would just keep your water pristine like you have been doing and hopefully things get better. It is puzzling me because your water parameters are excellent that is why I would rule out fin rot.

Reactions: kno4te

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I did a 50% WC last night followed by another 50%WC this morning just to unsure water is pristine and im about to move my bigger texas to my tank with bigger american then keep an eye on these guys... WOuld hate something to happen to these guys

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I did a 50% WC last night followed by another 50%WC this morning just to unsure water is pristine and im about to move my bigger texas to my tank with bigger american then keep an eye on these guys... WOuld hate something to happen to these guys

Yes I feel the same about the CL's that I have.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hey. How's the clown doing. ..If its just a nip it will go away in a couple of weeks. I see why you'd be worried as it's not common for clown loaches to have such issues but sometimes we worry more than we should. Keep an eye on the tail and maintain the water and fingers crossed all will be well soon.

Reactions: tlindsey

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I have noticed the same thing with my shoal a few times throughout the years. Every time, I've never seen it happen or have fish I'd suspect would nip them. Water is always good as well. Seems to go away after a bit, then a year or so later, I'll randomly see it again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store