Tiger Datnoid tank

ajking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
Hey guys new here just had my tank built it's a 5x2x2. Plan on getting 3 tigers one I've got on order is around 13 cm and the other 2 are around 6 cm from a different seller. Was wondering if the big one will bully the small ones? What kH should they be kept at ? Cheers
---
TMA: Mon Jun 19 2017 23:08:53 GMT+1000 (AEST).jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There is no way to predict whether or not the big dat will bully the smaller ones.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Do yourself a favor and ignore kh, pH, and all that water chemistry. The only important parameters are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temperature. Your fish will do fine in tap water and it's a consistent water source for large and frequent water changes. Consistency is far more important than some magical target number. Take this advice from someone who keeps and breeds discus. I also keep rays, arowana, and a datnoid...all with relatively hard tap water.

Reactions: eeJamBOYan

ajking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3146.PNG IMG_3164.JPG
Do yourself a favor and ignore kh, pH, and all that water chemistry. The only important parameters are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temperature. Your fish will do fine in tap water and it's a consistent water source for large and frequent water changes. Consistency is far more important than some magical target number. Take this advice from someone who keeps and breeds discus. I also keep rays, arowana, and a datnoid...all with relatively hard tap water.
cheers for the info mate. Where I'm from we got soft water with high ph around 8-9

Reactions: Bigfishnut

ajking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
Also the other 2 fish I'm ordering can either be NTT or IT what's the better fish to get cheers

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I pretty much agree with Bigfishnut and I have never bothered with hardness in dealing with fish that come from jungle tropical areas but I must say that that ph is high.It may not harm your dats but I would get something to bring those values down.

Reactions: ajking

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Consistancy over accuracy for datnoids like others have ready stated. When I lived in the Bay Area I kept all my datnoids in regular tap water with a ph of 8.2 and never once was it an issue.

Worming should probably just be a one time thing if done properly in quarantine and might be better doing it in a smaller tank rather than this larger show tank.

As for NTT or IT, it's personal preferance. I would go with NTT if price permits as they seem to only be getting more and more expensive where IT it's not nearly as dramatic. Many NTT keepers have experienced sudden death syndrome which is believed by some to be why you don't often see large individuals. I would imagine proper quarantine and treatments upon arrival should help potential underlying causes for, "SDS" and you should be fine. Personally I really regret selling my NTT when it was around 7-8", they really are a stunning fish as they grow larger.

ajking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
Consistancy over accuracy for datnoids like others have ready stated. When I lived in the Bay Area I kept all my datnoids in regular tap water with a ph of 8.2 and never once was it an issue.

Worming should probably just be a one time thing if done properly in quarantine and might be better doing it in a smaller tank rather than this larger show tank.

As for NTT or IT, it's personal preferance. I would go with NTT if price permits as they seem to only be getting more and more expensive where IT it's not nearly as dramatic. Many NTT keepers have experienced sudden death syndrome which is believed by some to be why you don't often see large individuals. I would imagine proper quarantine and treatments upon arrival should help potential underlying causes for, "SDS" and you should be fine. Personally I really regret selling my NTT when it was around 7-8", they really are a stunning fish as they grow larger.
Thanks for the info mate. Dose SDS become less of a chance as they get older ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store