Aqua Alex Fish Profile: Dogface Pufferfish (Arothron Nigropunctatus)

A

AquaAlex1993

On my podcast Facebook page where I post my tropical fish show, I post a weekly Wednesday tropical fish blog where I post freshwater and saltwater fish profiles and other tropical fish topics. I decided that because some of you may not have Facebook that I would post my blogs here for you all to see.
P.S.: All information on the following fish species and pictures belong to me (Alex Cardinale).

I had a hard time picking a Saltwater fish this week, but then I thought of one of my favorite fish in my saltwater aquarium. Today I am going to talk about the dog face puffer fish. Puffer fish are very popular all around the world, even non fish keepers know about them. When they think about puffer fish they think of the porcupine puffer which is known as porcupine puffer and ballon fish which is the family that dogface puffers belong to. Puffers live in all 3 water systems: freshwater, brackish water and saltwater. But in my humble and unbiased opinion saltwater puffer fish are the best.
Dog face puffer fish are one of the most popular saltwater fish and saltwater puffers.
15267781_1510784062269313_6104982198101179141_n.jpg 16174782_1578284045519314_6561730111979660881_n.jpg
Dog Face Puffer Fish (Arothron Nigropunctatus)
Common Names: Dog face Puffer fish, black spot puffer fish
Scientific Name: Arothron Nigropunctatus
Place of Origin: Japan to East Africa to Indo Pacific to Australia
Water Conditions: P,H, 8.1 to 8.4, Salinity 1.019-1.026, temperature 74 to 82 degrees F
Full Grown Size: Up to 12’’
Recommended Tank Size: 75 gallons and up a 6’ tank is best
Reef Safe: Reef Safe with Caution: They will eat any small inverts such as shrimp, snails, and crabs. There is no guarantee that they will not pick at soft or hard corals.
Feeding: Dog face Puffer fish will most likely be shy upon addition into their new aquarium thus they may take up to a week before they eat. Although all fish have different personality's so one may end as soon as 1 day. Dog face Puffer fish are omnivores meaning they love meat. Being a puffer fish they love inverts with shells. Thus, they will eat shrimp, crabs, snails and any other invert they can touch. DO NOT HOUSE THESE WITH ANY INVERTS! As far as feeding goes market shrimp is a great way to keep the dog face puffer’s teeth in line and a good staple, clams, mussells and other seafood is good too. High quality saltwater pellet foods and LRS frozen foods are great too!
For the best Brine Shrimp flakes and sticks and FD Brine Shrimp and Krill to feed your Dog face Puffer please check out our supporter and sponsor: www.yourfishstuff.com
The best frozen Saltwater food is LRS Reef frenzy and Carnivore Delight
Tank Mates: As mentioned before INVERTS ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION! NO INVERTS because they will be eaten, unless of course you want to give them a treat. From time to time I do give some snails as a treat. Anyway, these fish are quite mellow and calm. Thus, this provides an unless amount of tank mates for these fish. Anything to big to be eaten will work. They are great excellent well behaved puffer fish in fish only with live rock tanks or they can live in reef tanks with caution. Other Puffer fish from the Arothron family should get along provided that they are added together or similar sized ; in the wild they are found swimming near each other. Porcupine Puffers are iffy as they can be aggressive towards other puffers but again each fish has it’s different personality. Other species that will do quite well with dog face puffers include: clown fish, tangs, angelfish, lionfish, trigger fish, moray eels, butterfly fish, squirrel fish and more!
Care: Dog face puffers are hardy and don’t require any specific care like many of the other saltwater fish. Be sure to provide plenty of cave and rock work for the dog face puffer can have somewhere to hide and sleep at night. Make sure to keep up on water changes since they can make a mess while they eat. Do not let any fish pick on or stress them. They of course, can puff up and inflate to protect them. It is actually very stressful and could be harmful and fatal. It is best to avoid that situation. DO NOT PURPOSELY MAKE A PUFFER INFLATE!
Aqua Alex’s Closing Remarks:
~ There are many different kinds of dog face puffer fish. Most are believed to be from different areas of the world.
For dog face puffer fish there are:
~ Yellow Belly Dog face Puffer: a dog face puffer with gorgeous yellow to gold belly and side
~ Black and White Dog Face: The common dog face pufferfish. Brown body with black spots and white coloration.
Each individual dog face will have it’s own look.
~ DO NOT LET FISH STORES FOOL YOU!
There is only one kind of TRUE Dog Face Puffer and that is the Black Spot Puffer!
The others are members of the Arothron family and look similar but get much much bigger.
These include puffers such as the narrow lined puffer (manila puffer), stars and stripes etc. Often times they get labeled as striped dogface, stars and stripes dogface, etc.
~ Cost is generally anywhere from $40-$150 depending on size and location of where you live.
~ Dog face Puffer fish will brighten up your aquarium!
Dog face puffer fish are one of my favorite fish and for many good reasons! They have awesome personality. They will beg for food by swimming up and down the glass. They will sometimes spit water on the glass lids. When not fed, some may pout by going down to their rock and hid. They are so handsome and look just like a puppy. They are an aquatic pet. You will NOT regret adding one to your saltwater aquarium.
Thanks for reading and I hope you learned about dog face puffer fish. If you have one, enjoy it and make sure to treat him or her like a king or queen. If you don’t have one consider getting one!
If you have any questions on dog face puffer, please ask away by commenting below.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Courtesy of Exotic Tropical Fish with Aqua Alex

Reactions: puffy127
A

AquaAlex1993

Thanks for the info!

Do you know how well they will do with cowfish/boxfish?
Honestly, I have never kept them together with cow/boxfish. From what I've read the cow/boxfish seem to be a sensitive fish when it comes to tankmates. They can release a toxin when stressed that can kill an entire tank.
I would see how the dogface puffer acts, make sure he is not going after any tankmates or mean. My personal dogface was very graceful and peaceful, so I could try it.
Ours may also be peaceful but it depends on the personality of each fish.
~Aqua Alex

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store