Tank on a second floor

ZippyTheSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Whats the biggest tank i could possibly have on a second floor without worriying about damaging the floor. The floor is made of wood and the house is about 100 years old. The tank would be placed against the wall. Right now i have a 55.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; There have been many threads asking a similar question. Without an actual look at the structure of a particular building, us folks on the internet cannot give a valid answer. Way too many variables and unknowns involved. As suggested get a pro to look at the place.

A 55 gallon being the most I would consider in a general sense without an inspection.

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I had a 55 gallon aquarium on the 3rd floor a few years back for a year and never had a problem. I didn't even know which way the floor joists went but maybe I just got lucky. I've read in multiple places that a 55 should be able to be placed just about anywhere if you're house is considered live able.

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
I live in a very old apartment building on the 2nd floor and have a 55 gallon with a cinderblock/plywood diy stand. It's probably a combined 1000 pounds.

I have in a narrow hallway, and it's fine so far, although if something goes wrong, I'm ****ed, since renter's insurance doesn't cover anything like this.

Anyone know if putting it in a narrow hallway is structurally better than say a living room?

Here's a paint drawing of my current apartment layout and where my 2 tanks are located, anyone know if it's better for them to be placed where they are or in the red boxes?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I live in a very old apartment building on the 2nd floor and have a 55 gallon with a cinderblock/plywood diy stand. It's probably a combined 1000 pounds.

I have in a narrow hallway, and it's fine so far, although if something goes wrong, I'm ****ed, since renter's insurance doesn't cover anything like this.

Anyone know if putting it in a narrow hallway is structurally better than say a living room?

Here's a paint drawing of my current apartment layout and where my 2 tanks are located, anyone know if it's better for them to be placed where they are or in the red boxes?

Hello; Here is my take. If the narrow hallway is at an outside wall then that outside wall seems likely to be a load bearing wall.
If there are other apartments on either side of your apartment then it is unclear which walls are load bearing. Some will be load bearing of course but as far as I know there is not a way to know without a look see.

As far as renters insurance goes it has been posted that some policies do cover aquariums. I do not know for sure. Best bet is to ask the agent. Might be able to get such coverage added. Might also cost more.

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Hello; Here is my take. If the narrow hallway is at an outside wall then that outside wall seems likely to be a load bearing wall.
If there are other apartments on either side of your apartment then it is unclear which walls are load bearing. Some will be load bearing of course but as far as I know there is not a way to know without a look see.

As far as renters insurance goes it has been posted that some policies do cover aquariums. I do not know for sure. Best bet is to ask the agent. Might be able to get such coverage added. Might also cost more.
There is an apartment to the left of that hallway.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
There is an apartment to the left of that hallway.
Hello; Well, then a trip into the basement or the lowest floor just might give an idea where the load bearing walls are located. It might be fairly obvious or still more confusing. Some walls in a building are only for defining rooms and have little structural support. Others carry the weight. In finished rooms one looks much like the other.
While it is tempting to say that all load bearing walls are directly on top of each other all the way down to the foundation, I just do not know if there might be exceptions.

As with other threads on this subject, get someone with experience. Maybe the floor plans of the building are available at a local government agency??

Reactions: tlindsey

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
Structurally speaking, the framing of your home will determine where the placement of the aquarium wouId be best fit but I read somewhere that its better to put a tank where there is less foot traffic as not to stress the fish out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store