Catfish ID, video as promised.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Here is a short video of my unknown, given to me as a Pictus catfish. Hopefully this is enough to get a fairly accurate ID on him/her.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am not sure why you still think the ID is questionable after your other ID thread https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/catfish-id.689083/ ... it's no biggie anyway...

In any case, this is IMHO without a doubt the most common medium Pim catfish sold - aka Pimelodus blochii, whose appearance, rather markings, are a bit variable because it inhabits vast territories in SA.

Sometimes (and erroneously IMO) it is marketed by the name striped pictus catfish, apparently to distinguish it from spotted pictus catfish aka Pimelodus pictus. This can lead to persistent confusion among keepers, such as the one at hand, it appears.

I wish such marketing practices were stopped.

Or whoever gave it to you was confused, is all.

The common name for this catfish is 4-line catfish, which is, in turn, perhaps erroneous as by translation / association it would point to Pimelodus tetramerus, a different but closely-looking species in the same genus.

So I prefer blochii catfish.

There is such a thing within that genus as a group of species. There is a blochii group, which indeed includes other species such as tetramerus, albofasciatum, etc. and all of these are often sold together intermixed under the same common name, most usually 4-line Pim catfish. They are defined by a large black spot by the dorsal fin. Other Pimelodus species lack it, albeit may look somewhat alike, as, for instance, much coveted and rare Pimelodus maculatus.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
I am not sure why you still think the ID is questionable after your other ID thread https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/catfish-id.689083/ ... it's no biggie anyway...

In any case, this is IMHO without a doubt the most common medium Pim catfish sold - aka Pimelodus blochii, whose appearance, rather markings, are a bit variable because it inhabits vast territories in SA.

Sometimes (and erroneously IMO) it is marketed by the name striped pictus catfish, apparently to distinguish it from spotted pictus catfish aka Pimelodus pictus. This can lead to persistent confusion among keepers, such as the one at hand, it appears.

I wish such marketing practices were stopped.

Or whoever gave it to you was confused, is all.

The common name for this catfish is 4-line catfish, which is, in turn, perhaps erroneous as by translation / association it would point to Pimelodus tetramerus, a different but closely-looking species in the same genus.

So I prefer blochii catfish.

There is such a thing within that genus as a group of species. There is a blochii group, which indeed includes other species such as tetramerus, albofasciatum, etc. and all of these are often sold together intermixed under the same common name, most usually 4-line Pim catfish. They are defined by a large black spot by the dorsal fin. Other Pimelodus species lack it, albeit may look somewhat alike, as, for instance, much coveted and rare Pimelodus maculatus.

It's my fault for not checking the board before posting this thread. I got what I came for though, you seem to be the catfish master around these parts.

Thanks for the input! I'll get a tape on him and see just how big he actually is this weekend.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Definitely in the pimelodus family.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
It is a 4-line pim. No question about it to me. As stated the black dot by the dorsal is what differentiates it. Looks just like my old one. I had numerous ines who all had different markings, my largest had none. Was silver like yours.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
So thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter are you saying there's several very closely related species all called blochii?
Its the lack of spotting and elongated shape that have me thinking... Ok i saw the black dot, checked pcf, I just looks very different to my typical spotty 4line, and at 13" it seems huge!?
Of course there's variation in all species, and freaks in all species.
If your that certain it is a blochii then I'm inclined to believe for expertise, you must admit it doesn't look typical for blochii tho?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
The adipose is also alot flatter than my blochii...

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
He's huge. He's going on the tape when we tear down all the tanks to move this coming weekend. I'll get some good pictures up with his size.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I always appreciate a healthy discussion. I am as much an expert on blochii as you are. I am not an expert on anything but insane menageries of fish having dipped my toes in everything I could, being a hoarder, not keeper :)

So are you saying there's several very closely related species all called blochii?

*****It's a very large genus with many species looking alike and moreover having a continent-size distribution, which provides for geographic variation. In many large genus, some most similar species are often grouped by taxonomists. So there is such a thing as a blochii group. Beyond this, all I have is a speculation based on seeing hundreds and owning a couple of dozen of these fish, which I've never attempted to ID to the species level thoroughly, given the obvious steep and evolving learning curve (half of SA fish species have not been described yet at all!). You may be right that what I consider blochii might not all be blochii because of my ignorance. Must read the last revision carefully, which I've not done at all, not even skimmed. So can't provide a sensible argument for my views.

Its the lack of spotting and elongated shape that have me thinking... Ok i saw the black dot, checked pcf, I just looks very different to my typical spotty 4line, and at 13" it seems huge!?
*****As stated, you may be right but we need an expert opinion, IMHO, someone who has mastered the last revision, or is a professional. We may get more certainty on PCF. As for the size, one "blochii" I had 10 years ago was 13"-14" and it's bodily proportions were quite different from this fish. It probably had 2x the girth of this fish. ~5 lbs weight. It looked a lot like this photo #3, both coloration and body shape https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=1621 also #6 https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=3181

Of course there's variation in all species, and freaks in all species. If your that certain it is a blochii then I'm inclined to believe for expertise, you must admit it doesn't look typical for blochii tho?
*****Don't believe me. Question everyone, especially me :) Lazy me lo-o-oves learning at the expense of someone else's leg work :) To my superficial glance, I can't say it is atypical but then again, I got myself used to overlooking the significant variations in 4-line appearances.

The adipose is also alot flatter than my blochii...
*****May be your "blochii" is not the real mccoy. To my eye, the adipose is about right. :) I don't detect a significant difference from the adipose on this fish for instance https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=15612 I note younger fish have a relatively taller adipose with a pointier pinnacle, it seems - https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=1628
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=1541

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store