Rope or Nope

As the title suggests Ropefish in my tank?

• Rope

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I will say... if you plan on having any lower jaws I have been advised against keeping them with the LJs. They are very thin and worm-like.

So... if you want to keep any LJs I would then amend my answer to Nope.

This
Ropes are enjoyable to watch. As long as there are no big ornate and other lower jaws. You'll be fine. Otherwise they'll be best buds like in the pic below.

View attachment 1259604
And this.

But u said no to the LJ's so go for it

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
twentyleagues twentyleagues . Very excited for you to get some ropes! Have you gotten to see the big ones the LFS is holding for you????!! Pics please :)
Thanks! But haven't decided yet. Yes I've seen all the ropes but I haven't "seen" the exact ones being held they didn't split them up. They QT all the stuff so it had a held for observation sign on them. I didn't take pics. I should start taking pics at LFS, but I don't because its not mine. I don't feel its wrong or anything just kinda feel weird about doing it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. He wrote a note on tank 3 largest held for me.

No LJs , but do have a jerk ctenopoma and the delzs are twice the size of most others except for the moke. My sen is small and she was first in tank I don't know if she has something wrong with her or if shes just petit. Seems fine eats fine just small and thin. Albino was second in and is only a month newer then the sen about same length but quite a bit thicker. Point to this sen is about the same thickness as a larger rope and ctenopoma or delz don't bother her. Golddust in gen pop is about same thickness of the sen just a little shorter and he was added just before the Moke, no one bothers her. Moke was the biggest poly I've ever purchased at about 5.5" So like it seems everyone has stated should be good! I think ill give them a call and say yeah ill be in next Saturday!!!

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
clm08k clm08k - why were you anti-rope? Just out of curiosity.

I guess I've always been a snake fish fan. ;)
I am afraid of snakes and worms. Hahah. So perhaps anti, is not the best word...but definitely fearful yes.... And I didn't know how graceful ropes were

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
My Cteno was also kind of a jerk, but he never bothered any of my polys or ropes. Just the tetras. But I know each fish is different.

I don't hear about upper jaws eating other polys very often. Maybe it happens. I hear about them BEING eaten by LJs.

I can't remember what you have set up for your lid but if you don't have literally every inch sealed get out the duct tape. :)

I am afraid of snakes and worms. Hahah. So perhaps anti, is not the best word...but definitely fearful yes.... And I didn't know how graceful ropes were
I have a friend who hates snakes, too, and he hates my ropes. (But is OK with my other polys, because they look more like dragons/dinosaurs. Okayyy.) I try to convince him by showing how sweet, smiley, and graceful they are, but he hasn't been convinced. ;)

Last edited:

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
My Cteno was also kind of a jerk, but he never bothered any of my polys or ropes. Just the tetras. But I know each fish is different.

I don't hear about upper jaws eating other polys very often. Maybe it happens. I hear about them BEING eaten by LJs.

I can't remember what you have set up for your lid but if you don't have literally every inch sealed get out the duct tape. :)
I agree 110% I have lost 2 to jumping

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store