Mysterious white growth

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
The reason I mention the combo of kanaplex and furan is that it was recommended mulitple times and several sites for bacterial lesions that won't clear up. If your fish doesn't respond to kanaplex alone the combo is a viable alternative. I've used it for a stubborn case of columnaris and it did indeed clear up the infection.

Reactions: Yellacat

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
The reason I mention the combo of kanaplex and furan is that it was recommended mulitple times and several sites for bacterial lesions that won't clear up. If your fish doesn't respond to kanaplex alone the combo is a viable alternative. I've used it for a stubborn case of columnaris and it did indeed clear up the infection.

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
I think the kanaplex might be working! It's hard to see all the fish because they like to hide but from the fish I can see it doesn't seem to be spreading or getting worse like it was yesterday.

Still too early to tell for sure but I definitely have my fingers crossed.... I have stress coat on order so hopefully that'll help them heal if the kanaplex is really working.

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
Alright, just a little update. I dosed the second dose of the kanaplex and I definitely think they are looking better. There seems to be less fish with white spots and the fish that do have white on them the white seems to be be going away.

I did notice on one or two fish there are larger patches of white (about the size of a dime) so I'm hoping it's not columnaris. Still debating if I should just do the furan just to be safe.

Reactions: tarheel96

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
The size of a dime is pretty large. Based on that info I'd add the Furan 2 to the Kanaplex.

How is ammonia looking? It can climb pretty quickly without bio filtration. I forget what the Seachem and API directions say but before adding the next doses I'd do large water changes. Get rid of that ammonia. Just don't do larger water changes than your fish are used to receiving.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
Ammonia was at .5 yesterday. I did about a 30 percent water change and added prime to neutralize the ammonia.

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1837.JPG Alright well bad news. I had my first death today, actually 3. The kanaplex seemed the most effective but once the treatment was done it seems like it began to spread again.

Now there's probably 20 with large white patches that I can see.

I got more kanaplex on order and I'm also gonna try sulfaplex. Any advice???!!!!

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
I have tilapia in this tank also and they seem to be unaffected by whatever this is. Don't know if that helps?

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
Been adding salt and stress coat. Also been keeping the water as clean as possible, partial water changes daily after meds were done

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store