Yellow Labs are like bunny rabbits!

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
So, we have a harem of yellow labs and obviously, very well know what could happen with male and female fish.

However, we are not trying to actively breed our fish. Our smallest yellow lab female was "pregnant" about a month ago. We didn't notice right away and misjudged the time of the eggs hatching. They hatched while we were on vacation and we never saw any signs of fry.

She has not been eating for almost a week right now and it was hard to tell, but this morning; she definitely has the eggs in the mouth again.

We want to do what's best for her. If some of the babies can survive; then that's great, but she is our top priority.

However, we do not have the room in our 110 gallon tank for a lot more yellow labs. So, they would have to be given to others. We also do not have another tank to put them in.

What is the safest way to deal with her carrying the eggs? Also, in other people's experience, how often do these yellow labs successfully mate in the sense that she is carrying viable eggs???

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I average 3 batches a year. If left in the tank, most will get eaten. They are a bait fish in lake Malwai.
I have never had a young female die. From not eating, and They can lay eggs every 2 months if condition are good.
The eggs can be removed, but its better to let a first time fish. Hatch her own eggs.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yea, I agree about letting her do the work until the fry get a bit bigger. At around the 1 month mark you should be able to put them in a breeder box or small breeding tank with some sponge filters so they don't get sucked in.

You can also use them as feeders for your other fish too.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Another option is to remove the female and find her another home as she will continue breeding for a couple years.

Reactions: tlindsey

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
I have 3 labs in a 55, one is stacking gravel pieces upon one of the aquarium rock decorations and may also be fin nipping the smallest lab. I have not really been paying attention and cannot confirm if its the biggest one doing both the rock stacking and bullying but if it is can anyone deduce the sex of the 3 yellows labs in the 55 gallon? I'm guessing its 2 males and a female but I'm new at this, please extend your expertise to help me better understand what is going on and how to prepare for breeding if it is to occur. They grow pretty ****ing fast!

Last edited:

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
So, we have a harem of yellow labs and obviously, very well know what could happen with male and female fish.

However, we are not trying to actively breed our fish. Our smallest yellow lab female was "pregnant" about a month ago. We didn't notice right away and misjudged the time of the eggs hatching. They hatched while we were on vacation and we never saw any signs of fry.

She has not been eating for almost a week right now and it was hard to tell, but this morning; she definitely has the eggs in the mouth again.

We want to do what's best for her. If some of the babies can survive; then that's great, but she is our top priority.

However, we do not have the room in our 110 gallon tank for a lot more yellow labs. So, they would have to be given to others. We also do not have another tank to put them in.

What is the safest way to deal with her carrying the eggs? Also, in other people's experience, how often do these yellow labs successfully mate in the sense that she is carrying viable eggs???

In this video it looks like the mother cichlid just carries them in the mouth but since they are so small I'd just be sure to cover your filters with pantyhose or something to prevent them from being sucked into the filter. I've never successfully breed cichlids so I cannot really be of much assistance. Let me know how your experience goes so I can learn because I am also raising yellow labs.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I have 30 gallon cube, dedicated to fry rearing. Plumbed into the central sump. Smooth bottomed, and self cleaning.
The gravity return tube is 1mm off the bottom.
The new fry are in a 5 gallon tank inside the 30, until about 1/2" to 3/4" . It overflows into the 30.14989066595491659950344.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
They are a bait fish in lake Malwai.
L. caeruleus are not bait fish in Malawi. In fact, for many years this species was considered quite rare, only due to the depths at which they are found.

If you don't want the fry, leave the female in the tank & when she spits the other fish will eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store