Rainbow Wolffish or Other S.American Pred for Myleus and Fancy Pleco Bio-Tope Display

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Charax sp. would work, any of the smaller Payara - Scombs, Cynadon Gibbus, The rhomboides things that rapps had woud work, he's also always got crazy species of silver dollars I'm sure they would all work.

Red tail cudas, yellow tailed cudas, the elusive Bi cuda (Boulengerella culveri SP) would be a great centerpiece..... Cuda are VERY peaceful though, tankmates will need to be chosen carefully.

Tiger Silver Dollars look sweet in a big school.

Pink tailed and yellow finned chelceus might work.

Myself, I'd forget the wolf. IF you want a wolf cool, get a small tank for your wolf. Hoping its going to be trouble free in a community setting is wishful thinking at best.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

Charax sp. would work, any of the smaller Payara - Scombs, Cynadon Gibbus, The rhomboides things that rapps had woud work, he's also always got crazy species of silver dollars I'm sure they would all work.

Red tail cudas, yellow tailed cudas, the elusive Bi cuda (Boulengerella culveri SP) would be a great centerpiece..... Cuda are VERY peaceful though, tankmates will need to be chosen carefully.

Tiger Silver Dollars look sweet in a big school.

Pink tailed and yellow finned chelceus might work.

Myself, I'd forget the wolf. IF you want a wolf cool, get a small tank for your wolf. Hoping its going to be trouble free in a community setting is wishful thinking at best.
Awesome!!! I thought the cudas were aggressive. Do you think the red tail cudas or yellow tail will do fine with a big school of widebar silverdollars, a chocolate cichlid, panda uaru, altum angels, and fancy plecos in a 6' 180?

A

AquaAlex1993

Where could I find a red tail cuda online? My lfs only has bread and butter fresh

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wide bar SD will get to big for a 180. Personally I think red tail cudas are prettier and they stay smaller than the yellows. Read they can be more food aggressive but I don't know the validity of that. Cudas like a school. Might wanna be careful with the cichlids. The cuda won't handle aggression well.

A

AquaAlex1993

Wide bar SD will get to big for a 180. Personally I think red tail cudas are prettier and they stay smaller than the yellows. Read they can be more food aggressive but I don't know the validity of that. Cudas like a school. Might wanna be careful with the cichlids. The cuda won't handle aggression well.
Good to know. How big do widebars get?
The cichlids should be peaceful but I will keep my eyes open since angels are rarely aggressive to other fish.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Good to know. How big do widebars get?
The cichlids should be peaceful but I will keep my eyes open since angels are rarely aggressive to other fish.
Over 1' for sure, I believe they max at out 16" and probably 1' tall too. Then they like to shoal and are active so to keep them happy, a 180 isn't going to work. And because of their active nature decor wouldn't be advised once they reach a large size in that tank ofcourse.

A

AquaAlex1993

Over 1' for sure, I believe they max at out 16" and probably 1' tall too. Then they like to shoal and are active so to keep them happy, a 180 isn't going to work. And because of their active nature decor wouldn't be advised once they reach a large size in that tank ofcourse.
Good to know! I only plan on doing 3 anyway the rest will be Myleus Rubrippinnis and a few thinbars.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Awesome!!! I thought the cudas were aggressive. Do you think the red tail cudas or yellow tail will do fine with a big school of widebar silverdollars, a chocolate cichlid, panda uaru, altum angels, and fancy plecos in a 6' 180?
Cuda aren't aggressive at all in my experience... I have a group of 5 I've had for years... Biggest is only like 7" but I can't keep them with most of the stuff I tried longterm. They don't eat well in the presence of many other fish. Pretty reclusive, just keep to themselves..... Truthfully if the Yellow tails get as big as they say I'd guess you'd want a tank quite a bit bigger then 180. I keep my redtails in a 8x2 - probably end up in a 300 for longterm.

A

AquaAlex1993

Cuda aren't aggressive at all in my experience... I have a group of 5 I've had for years... Biggest is only like 7" but I can't keep them with most of the stuff I tried longterm. They don't eat well in the presence of many other fish. Pretty reclusive, just keep to themselves..... Truthfully if the Yellow tails get as big as they say I'd guess you'd want a tank quite a bit bigger then 180. I keep my redtails in a 8x2 - probably end up in a 300 for longterm.
I want the red tail ones. They are the best looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store