What do juvenile black pacu look like?

A

AquaAlex1993

I have always been curious. What do baby black pacu look like? Are they different looking than red bellies? Are they rare at baby sizes?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have always been curious. What do baby black pacu look like? Are they different looking than red bellies? Are they rare at baby sizes?

It depends on the size they resemble small piranha when around 2 inches and will resemble Redbelly Pacu but change color when they mature. Its been years since I have personally seen Black Pacu.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

It depends on the size they resemble small piranha when around 2 inches and will resemble Redbelly Pacu but change color when they mature. Its been years since I have personally seen Black Pacu.
I wish there were some picsof them as babies

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
True black pacu are more elongated, we receive hybrids afaik now so that's why you see "red bellies" turn so black and others not so much.

A

AquaAlex1993

True black pacu are more elongated, we receive hybrids afaik now so that's why you see "red bellies" turn so black and others not so much.
It's such a shame that black pacu get so big. They are so damn cute. I remember seeing some a long time ago at the LFS. One of my favorite fish for sure. Would be awesome if I hit the jackpot because then I can build a huge aquarium and keep black, red belly pacu widebars and a silver arowana with red tail catfish niger cat and tsn.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I've never seen a small black pacu. I'm curious myself. True black pacu seem to be hard to come by, as I've only seen one in 35 years of keeping fish. Just my opinion but they are much nicer looking than a red belly. Red bellies always seem to loose the red color and turn gray and black, but a true black looks like this. Screenshot_2014-10-02-10-15-00-1.png 20170625_095324.png

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
I've never seen a small black pacu. I'm curious myself. True black pacu seem to be hard to come by, as I've only seen one in 35 years of keeping fish. Just my opinion but they are much nicer looking than a red belly. Red bellies always seem to loose the red color and turn gray and black, but a true black looks like this. View attachment 1259879 View attachment 1259880
beautiful pacu

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store