Flowerhorn breeding

waleedbaloch

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2012
pakistan
Hello everyone .. I'm trying to breed flowerhorn but have not been successful yet. I have a pair in 90 gallon tank for about 6 months now and they have not breed. maleis about 10 months old while female is 1 year+ . everything is right but have not seen any progress yet. I'm posting some pictures of my setup . please guide me IMG_20170624_202941_440.jpg IMG_20170624_203149_239.jpg

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I see, you're using glass without any openings for water to flow through to divide the tank and filtration only on one side....not enough filtration and poor circulation in such a big tank. I do not see a heater...what is the water temp? I usually keep temp at 86 F.

Have you removed the divider? If they do not show any interest, try separating them to different tanks then reintroduce...it'll be like giving him a new girlfriend.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

waleedbaloch

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2012
pakistan
The water is flowing in both side.my nephew just broke the divider clips so had to adjust it with tape until I get new divider clips. the temperature is above 30 C now here in pakistan so I removed the heater

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
If the temp outside is 30 C,that does not mean the water temp is that.

Tape? Only my observation but that looks like a solid piece of glass wedged in place and no holes drilled for water to flow through. I'm assuming tape is applied above the water level, which leads me to believe there is no water flow on the female side. The male does not look it's best (kok could be bigger)...may be due to poor water quality...again from poor water flow & filtration. I've bred flowerhorns in a 90 gallon. They're tall and that that filter is not sufficient.

Last edited:

waleedbaloch

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2012
pakistan
I installed another 2000 LPH powerhead on female side and a dIY bucket filter . Now the filtration should be fine. I have decide to move female in a 40 g tank after a few days until male gets It's 100% colour and kok back. after that I would give it a try.please tell me a proper diet for female to make sure she is ready to lay eggs after 1 month.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I don't think you're seeing the big picture. Water should be allowed to flow freely from one side to the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store